Favourite Band

I was going just by what I heard LePond playing in the interview clip. All of the basslines he was playing had more chromaticism and melody than most of IC.

In fact, that slower jam reminded me of his playing at the beginning of "Awakenings"; maybe LePond's best SX moment.

HEY PRISMATIC SPHERE

You like Subsignal, right? I don't know if you've heard of Landmarq, but they released a new album recently and they're putting out material in almost *exactly* the same vein. Entertaining Angels.

Apparently the band Anthriel is working on their second album. There is no estimated release date, but it's good to hear something. Their debut had a lot of similarities with Symphony X, so I can say that I'm excited for this!

I heard some snippets from the new Circus Maximus album, as well as the single. It sounds different than their previous work, and I'm feeling pretty excited about it.

In fact, that slower jam reminded me of his playing at the beginning of "Awakenings"; maybe LePond's best SX moment.

That entire song is one of his best Symphony X moments if you ask me. It's just too bad that the bass is so buried in the mix on that album that it's hard to hear what he's doing under the distorted parts.

Most of the bass parts on the last two albums are more subdued, because there's not much the bass can do when the guitar is chugging away on another riff-fest song (which leaves LePond only to write fills that are mostly buried in the mix, like on Heretic). But the lines LePond was playing in that video were definitely more interesting than most of the recent Symphony X bass parts. I really liked that slower lead-type groove, too. This album will definitely be high on my list of priorities; I like the medieval sound of the music, too.

All we can hope for is that the next Symphony X album will include the other guys in the writing process. I'm sick to death of the Romeo/Allen show...

Apparently the band Anthriel is working on their second album. There is no estimated release date, but it's good to hear something. Their debut had a lot of similarities with Symphony X, so I can say that I'm excited for this!

That's cool, I liked their debut. Reminded me of classic Symphony X in several spots.

That entire song is one of his best Symphony X moments if you ask me. It's just too bad that the bass is so buried in the mix on that album that it's hard to hear what he's doing under the distorted parts.

Most of the bass parts on the last two albums are more subdued, because there's not much the bass can do when the guitar is chugging away on another riff-fest song (which leaves LePond only to write fills that are mostly buried in the mix, like on Heretic). But the lines LePond was playing in that video were definitely more interesting than most of the recent Symphony X bass parts. I really liked that slower lead-type groove, too. This album will definitely be high on my list of priorities; I like the medieval sound of the music, too.

All we can hope for is that the next Symphony X album will include the other guys in the writing process. I'm sick to death of the Romeo/Allen show...

Aye.

I think the best balance of the bass(or best balance period) in the mix was on Damnation, Divine Wings, and particularly Twilight. And to an extent, V.

I think the bass on V was a bit buried in the mix, too. I think the best bass mix for LePond was on Paradise Lost, but the type of music didn't allow him to really cut loose as much the unique fills that he did on the previous two albums.

just come back from the italian leg of Priest's "Epitaph" tour,just few words ,the gig was perfect ,Halford is in a very good shape,they are and still remain the best metal band in the world,UFO was supporting them with an excellent Vinnie
Moore on guitar

I'll never forget how sad-eyed LePond looked when I asked him if he had been able to contribute any songwriting credits on PL when I spoke to him backstage at BB King's in 2007. Now that we fully know how backed up these other four guys must feel since MJR commandeered all of the songwriting, I'm glad that LePond has been able to flex his creative muscles finally.

And this stuff sounds better than 95% of what's on Iconoclast.

You know, I wonder if anyone has asked MJR about him now being the main songwriter for the band. If not, I wonder how he'd react.

My favorite bands are Megadeth, Rainbow, Ozzy, Black Label Society, Testament, and obviously the almighty Symphony X!

I think Symphony X should record a cover album. What do you think?
Here's some suggestions:
Black Sabbath - War Pigs
Rainbow - Light in the Dark and Gates of Babylon
Scorpions - The Sails of Charon
Deep Purple - Highway Star
Uli Roth - Still So Many Lives away
Yngwie Malmsteen - Now Your Ships are Burned

^They just don't seem like the type of band who would do a cover album. If they did, I'm not sure I'd like the way it'd sound with those songs.

^They just don't seem like the type of band who would do a cover album. If they did, I'm not sure I'd like the way it'd sound with those songs.

Now Your Ships Are Burned is a good pick for SX, I think.

I think Symphony X should record a cover album. What do you think?
Here's some suggestions:
Black Sabbath - War Pigs
Rainbow - Light in the Dark and Gates of Babylon
Scorpions - The Sails of Charon
Deep Purple - Highway Star
Uli Roth - Still So Many Miles away
Yngwie Malmsteen - Now Your Ships are Burned

I would add to the list:

Iron Maiden - Rime of the Ancient Mariner
Yes - Roundabout
Saxon - Crusader
Deep Purple - Burn
Kansas - Carry on Wayward Son

Cover albums are by nature, awful.

I agree with this. Covers can be cool live, but the only way I feel a band is justified in recording one is when they break the song down and take it to some completely new direction, which seldom happens.

Symphony X making a cover album would be very odd. Though not of the same musical caliber as SX, Iced Earth recorded a cover album and it was weird. These bands have their own, unique sound. When they cover other people's material, it boils down to: what can our vocalist sing? Don't get me wrong, I think SX could do some really cool covers in a live setting and put their own stamp on them (mainly Rainbow, Dio, or some Iron Maiden songs), but hearing a SX covers album would be like watching a group of Olympic swimmers use floaties.