Favourite Guitarist or solo

valanx

Room of Angel
Jan 13, 2005
Mine is

Glenn Tipton - JUDAS PRIEST

Solo "Painkiller"- Impossibly unforgiving and truely melodic guitar assualt, perfectly executed with awesome techniques and played by the master with seemless ease! (most of the time!!)

I have to mention Ace Frehley's solo at the end of "Shock Me" on KISS' "Alive II," since it inspired me to start playing.

Believe it or not, the solo in Saxon's own "Midnight Rider" (by Mr. Quinn, I believe?) is one of my favorites. Brian Tatler's solo in Diamond Head's "It's Electric" is another.... Blackmore's solo in Purple's "Highway Star" is a classic... And almost anything on Thin Lizzy's "Live and Dangerous" or UFO's "Strangers In The Night." Dave Murray's solo (the 1st one) on Maiden's "Number OF The Beast."...

Oh, and since you mentioned Tipton, I think it's only fair that I give his underrated partner, K.K. Downing, some props for his soloing on "Running Wild," espcially that second short one in the middle....Classic. And their dual lead work on songs like "Starbreaker" is phenomenal!

valanx said:
Mine is

Solo "Painkiller"- Impossibly unforgiving and truely melodic guitar assualt, perfectly executed with awesome techniques and played by the master with seemless ease! (most of the time!!)

I think the solo in Princess of the night is awsome, and i also love (although they are not solos) the banter between Paul and graham on 'Taking your Chances'

my bigest regret is that i loved the end solo on 'the eagle has landed' i just wish they never faded it out,,,,,,,,,,, if they carried on that song would have become more of a classic than it is.... in the 'free bird theme from 'Lynard skynard' just brilliant!!!!

As far as Saxon is conerned there are to many to mention but to name one off hand I would say the solo in Requiem is one that comes to mind, but for other guitarist whom I admire, George Lynchs solo in River of Love from Lynch Mobs album Wicked Sensation, One that some may not agree with but It is good short sweet and fits the song nicely Jeff La' bar of Cinderella on Coming Home

If your taliking about all time classics Jimmy pages solo or the outro in Heartbreaker is damn good.

Great post, I can think of a whole lot more but I want see what others will post I may even learn about some other guitarist or songs or bands that I never new about

I think one of the best guitar solos of all time has got to be the one at the end of Floyd's Comfortably Numb - that is just simply mindblowing. Also solo at the end again of Floyd's High Hopes is another piece of excellence. Those two along with Freebird are probably my top 3.

Another fantastic solo is the one in the middle of Krokus' Come On, that is just blistering. Also the solo in the middle of Diamond Head's Sucking My Love is totally superb (and which I'm listening to just now - AWESOME!!!!). I'll have a wee think and see if I can come up with any more.

princess_of_the_night2112 said:
I think one of the best guitar solos of all time has got to be the one at the end of Floyd's Comfortably Numb - that is just simply mindblowing.

I would not disagree with that, absolutley awesome seeing him play it on the delicate sound of thunder live vid, beautiful !! Mouthwatering strat tones!! Enough to bring a tear to the eye of any guitarist!

One of my favourite solos is by Tony Iommi at the end of Over and Over by Black Sabbath on the Mob Rules album,tons of emotion and absolutely mental as well.

valanx said:
absolutley awesome seeing him play it on the delicate sound of thunder live vid, beautiful !!

Yip Valanz and it was absolutely mindblowingly awesome seeing him playing it LIVE at Earls Court when I saw Floyd do The Wall. That's one moment I'll never forget, by the time they do Comfortably Numb the wall is completely built and Dave Gilmour is sitting on top of the wall playing the solo at the end of CN while there's tons of smoke swirling around him. Superb - in fact I heard the live version of CN about an hour ago on radio and I was just thinking back to how sensational that concert was.

I've thought of another 3.

The solo at the end of Budgie's Napoleon Bonaparte is hard to beat. That's an incredible song and probably my fav Budgie one - and that live as well is simply sensational. Saw them about 5 months ago in Glasgow and that's the song they ended on and they just rocked the place to the core.

There's also a pretty magnficent solo in the middle of UFO's Love to Love You. I'm listening to this just now, this is my fav UFO song and the solo is outstanding.

Another one that I listened to earlier on is Zep's Dazed & Confused, that's a mighty fine solo in the middle as well.

No particular solo or guitarist but all the guitar work of Molly Hatchet is fantastic, always inspires you to pick up your own guitar and go wild. New album out this week, with great guitar work as always.

Patte said:
No particular solo or guitarist but all the guitar work of Molly Hatchet is fantastic, always inspires you to pick up your own guitar and go wild. New album out this week, with great guitar work as always.
Boogie No More,top song,great solos.Just makes you wanna crack open a bottle of JD :headbang:

Hard one this but i think it has to be saxons paul quinn not just because he is with my fav band saxon, but i think he is a underated guitarist that should be at least in the top ten in these guitarist magazine polls that we get now and then, just have a listen to the solo in waiting for the night those that havent heard it, not a bad song but not in me favs but the solo makes the song stand out just as one example of his work rytham wise as well as his solo work, keep up the good work. :headbang:

I couldn't agree more on Comfortably Numb. Gilmour is a rare and special breed of guitar player - less is more!!
I think I'm going to have to seperate this up into 2 categories: Favourite Solos & Favourite Guitarists!

Please remember that I'm going to forget loads of stuff that I like, OK!??

Favourite Solos:

We Will Rock You - Brian May
PainKiller - KK Downing & Glenn Tipton
Crusader - Paul Quinn
Supernaught - Tony Iommi
Comfortably Numb - Dave Gilmour
Star Fleet - Eddie Van Halen
Freewill - Alex Lifeson
Dallas 1pm - Graham Oliver
Hellrider - Glenn Tiption & KK Downing

Favourite Guitarists:
Glenn Tipton
KK Downing
Graham Oliver
Alex Lifeson
Tony Iommi
Jeff Beck

and - I don't care what anyone thinks!! - Brian May: No matter what people say, I think this guy really changed the perception of how a solo (or just a guitar sound) should be done.
I've cringed at some of the stuff Queen have produced over the years, but Brian May will be up there with Hendrix as time goes on. He definately pushed the barriers of everything we perceive of guitar technique!

The best guitarist of all time has got to be HENDRIX - he is a GOD!. Well was a God I should say. In fact talking about Hendrix I bought an ultra cool Hendrix Tshirt last week - a nice purple (haze) sleeveless one with his pic on the front and the words Jimi Hendrix in silver glitter - do I rock or what LOL!!!!!!

nightwar said:
Brian May will be up there with Hendrix as time goes on. He definately pushed the barriers of everything we perceive of guitar technique!

Nightwar brother you know its your crazy jokes and insane sense of humour that keeps me coming back here mate!! JK

Mine is also

Solo: well there are 3 solos of him, which I love: "Dreamer Deceiver", "Beyond The Realms Of Death" there's so much feeling in those solos that you can almost touch the notes, "Rock Hard Ride Free", it's impossible to stop air guitarring when I hear this solo. :)

valanx said:
Nightwar brother you know its your crazy jokes and insane sense of humour that keeps me coming back here mate!! JK

Valanx - LOL!!

Weirdly - I've just been listening to 'Stained Class' today and thought how the 'Realms' solo should be on this section! What a Bloody great Metal song!

nightwar said:
Weirdly - I've just been listening to 'Stained Class' today and thought how the 'Realms' solo should be on this section! What a Bloody great Metal song!

Yeah, now thats a guitar solo i would frame and put up on my wall...If it was possible to do such a thing! Glenn always seems to play it perfectly live as well...