favourite movie

luke

Messianic Subliminal Mind
May 2, 2001
Soapland
Visit site
What's your favourite movie of all time?
Mine would have to be Dead Man, with Johnny Depp.
Runner's up:
Splendor in the Grass, Natalie Wood
Being John Malkovitch, you know who's in this one
and Sijie Cui Kepade Shunin (The World's Most Terrible Sound) which is an independent movie from Taiwan that I starred in.

Do any of the Finns here know the movie Leningrad Cowboys Go America?

Originally posted by Xtokalon
my favorite movie of all time (not just one of my favorites), though I get laughed at for this one, is I think "groundhogs day" with Bill Murray and Andie Macdowell

Oh man, I used to hire that movie out everytime I went into the video shop when I was little. It used to be my fav. Now I dunno. Maybe something like Fight Club, or Pulp Fiction. Both those movies altered my perception of things.

THE NINTH GATE OWNS
i love those movies about the satan end of the world type shit...

9th gate
end of days
the devils advocate
NINJA TURTLES 2!!
gladiator
final fantasy
hannibal
FREDDY GOT FINGERED!!
x-men
dungeons and dragons
the mummy returns

I really, REALLY like Das Boot.

It's one of the grandest films from the end of the "good war film" era in the 80s (more recently, they've picked themselves up a bit, but another in that run is Platoon) They pioneered some pretty vital techniques, using Steadicams, which are ubiquitous in the industry now. The performances and direction are second to none, but the only way to watch it is the widescreen director's cut, subtitled, since my German is no good.

More recently, Dancer in the Dark, with Björk. Totally re-examines musicals, and the entire film process, really. Requiem for a Dream, and Aranofsky's first picture, Pi, are both stunning works of stylized subjective filmmaking. Delicious! He actually takes some influence from Kurosawa, but I haven't had the chance to see too much of that (I've seen Rashomon..).

In the last few months I've watched a lot of Bergman, and I still love The Seventh Seal. And I'll always love Fritz Lang's "M" and Murnau's Nosferatu.

I'm REALLY looking forward to Apocalypse Now Redux, which is due out in about a month or so. I hope it revitalizes the filmmaking community to re-orient themselves toward something greater than what they have lately..

One of the guys I used to jam with in Taipei is an independent short film maker. If you are into underground film festivals, you might have seen some of his films. The one I got to star in was a real bizarre parody of those cheesy paranormal invesitagation shows. I was the host, and my character had a slight facial twitch. It was lots of fun, and even got an award at the Taipei Film Festival in 2000. Strangely enough, I haven't gotten any calls from Hollywood yet.
Strange

I'll have to check that out for you. Searching the Chinese databases is a bit hard though, as my computer here doesn't have the software to read Chinese font.
I'll get back to you in a few days, but I guess I should warn you that it's in Mandarin.

That´s difficult but here´s my list at this moment:

° Leaving Las Vegas
° Fargo
° Festen
° The Shawshank Redemption
° Pulp Fiction
° Jackie Brown
° Lost Highway
° The Straight Story

B-Movies/Horror
° Countess Dracula
° all the movies with Bela Lugosi
° Evil Dead I,II and Army of Darkness
° Killer Klowns From Outer Space
° Robot Monster
° The Pit and the Pendulum
° Braindead (Dead Alive)

In no particular order or consequence...

American History X
Fistfull of Dollars (storyline also used in Last Man Standing)
Godfather 2
Dr. Strangelove
Conan the Barbarian
Predator (I know Arnie is cheesy, but this movie rules)
Saving Private Ryan

In no order, just as they come to me...

Topping the list must of course be "Citizen Kane," for revolutionizing the industry, and having the coolest ending, bar none. Otherwise, runner-ups could include anything from:

"The Usual Suspects"
"A Clockwork Orange"
"Run Lola Run"
"Pi"
"Requiem for a Dream"
"Welcome to the Dollhouse"
"Das Boot"
"Shawshank Redemption"
"Natural Born Killers"
and it's been many years since I watched it, but I remember being tremendously affected by "The Seven Samurai"

also, though it pains me to admit it, I'm starting to feel nostalgia for "Beavis and Butthead do America." :eek: Not that it belongs on a greatest films ever made list, but it's good for many early '90s reminiscence. Sure, it's stupid, but it's pleasantly stupid, and transcends it's stupidness. Um... yeah.

Paul

Gdc
Straight Story was great, wasn't it. I thought the cinematography was beautiful. And just the fallibly human aspects of the characters made the movie feel so much like they might be my neighbors or something.

In no particular order:

The Truman Show
Man on the Moon
American Beauty
Being John Malkovich
Fight Club
The Usual Suspects
The Shawshank Redemption
Schindler's List
Saving Private Ryan

I recently saw Requiem for a Dream... that was amazing. I think all of the provincial government's education ministries should spearhead their anti-drug campain with that movie.