favourite movie

I'd have to say

1) Star Wars (all of'em :D)
2) Spinal Tap
3) Ferris Bueller's Day Off
4) The `Burbs
5) The Breakfast Club

Heh, I like the 80's movies :)

Wow, I thought I was the only person who saw the Straight Story. That was a good movie.

Ones I agree with:

American History X
Shawshank Redemption
Requiem for a Dream
Fargo
Being John Malkovich

Ones that I don't think have been mentioned:

Boys Don't Cry
The Insider
Go
Elizabeth
American Beauty
Quills

I'm sure I'll think of more...

Doh! Someone snuck in a response with American Beauty before I was done writing.:eek:

Luke, since you're in Japan, have you seen that movie -- damn, not sure I remember the name -- I think it was The Last Dance? In Japanese with subtitles. If you liked Straight Story, you'd like this one. But since you're into indie films, you've probably seen it.

i DEFINITELY agree with Shawshank Redemption!

also..
- Racing with the moon
-Saving Private Ryan
- a clockwork orange (weirdest movie but still good)
-good will hunting
-the crow
-BATMAN FOREVER!
-the sound of music
-half baked
-dazed and confused

Duvall: I agree, Das Boot is an excellent, excellent film. The whole film is beautifly shot and I will never forget that ending. Brilliant. That and Full Metal Jacket are my all time favorite war movies. I have yet to see Pi and Requiem for a Dream, I'll have to check them out soon, I've been meaning to for awhile.

What did everyone think of AI? I don't think it was up to Kubrick standards but for a Speilberg film it was damn good(minus the cheezy action parts, but they were brief). I can only imagine what that film could have been had Stanley lived to direct it.

BTW I absolutely loved American Beauty.

The best movie of all times is Lost Highway, but 12 Monkeys, the Usual Suspects, Fargo and Fight Club are close behind.

Lost Highway is just so cooool. Damn I love it.

"I'm at your house right now.
Call me.
I Told you I was here.
Now give me back my phone"

Uuhh, still gives me the chills.

Argh, I can't believe I forgot to mention Fincher! I'm going to hell for that one.

Se7en and Fight Club, definitely. The game was excellent too, I thought. Alien 3, well...it was his first feature.

Over the last few years, American Beauty and Magnolia have stood out in my mind - films made in the Hollywood system that broke conventions (length, content, etc) and still did very well.

Alucard: FMJ definitely. That's my next DVD purchase I think. I'd like to say "The Deer Hunter," but I've seen it once, broken in half (a few days between tapes), and it's dreadfully long. I'll give it another go this month. But brilliant performances.

I love older deNiro - Mean Streets, Taxi Driver.. even Goodfellas. Wait, that's all Scorcese. The guy who I'm subletting my apartment from was a Scorcese freak, and he left me a poster of deNiro on the fridge, and a Tom Savini special FX course poster..

Maybe it'll keep my rentals in check - I made a vow to never rent any bad movies, and I might have faltered once or twice..

Hey, here's one I don't think anybody's mentioned yet: Apocalypse Now. That's a cool movie. And, as I mentioned elsewhere, I do love Airplane.

"This women has to be gotten to a hospital"
"A Hospital? What is it?"
"It's a big building with doctors, but that's not important right now"

I have a few favourites...

The house of the spirits
5th element
American beauty
Aliens (That's #2)
Bad taste

That's one from most categories I guess ;)

My favorite movie of all time would have to be Aliens. It is so much better than the original and all the garbage spawned after. Alien Ressurection was a terrible pox on the series.

"Surely, you can't be serious?

"I am serious, and don't call me Shirley."

lol, the movie reminds me of a childhood friend....