Votes: 4 6.8%
  • Martin Lopez

Votes: 11 18.6%
  • Johan DeFarfalla

Votes: 3 5.1%
  • Anders Nordin

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I like them all equally..... I haven't heard Johan Write music, or I haven't heard Anders or Peter take charge and write the basics for songs.......

wheres Per?

Mikael is probably the most artistically inclined and good at writing music. There is something strange about Peter's soloing style which I don't like, and I'm not a drummer nor bass player so I can't really comment on the other guys.

But I'll give my vote to Lopez simply because he's such a great guy in person, and also spices up his drum parts so Opeth's rhythm section doesn't stagnate.

I chose Johan because he was an artistic bass player...Mendez is too of course, but the bass playing on the first couple albums is amazing, and yes, I'm pretty fucking sure the hard jazzy parts weren't Mikael so "stfu."

it does seem pretty clear that mikael is the big cheese in the band and is extremely talented, not to mention seems a great person too--watched the dvd again last night and was so impressed by his slappling hands after the show, i mean, he's gotta be tired as hell and all the other guys split, but he's working the crowd... that's what i call a class act.
however, they are all so focused and so talented--i mean, i think they are a group in the full sense of the term and that everyone pulls his weight.
so i voted for lopez 'cause i think he's dreamy... HA!

and yes, I'm pretty fucking sure the hard jazzy parts weren't Mikael so "stfu."

So, Mikael was only playing the easier parts and FarFalla the hard ones? Even though Mikael stated that FarFalla couldn't play the hard parts? Or are oyu saying easy means actually hard and vice-versa?...

That's just BS.

Anyhow, I like Lopez the most.
Musically, Lopez is beaten by Mikael, because of his great bass playing.
However, I think that Lopez actually cares more about the band than Mikael, even. He's a much more sympathic guy and easily the most underrated drummer besides Ringo Starr. How can you possibly dislike him?

But I like every member of the band.

I can't say Mikael or Peter, because, as musicians, they aren't very versatile. They can't read music, which kind of subtracts from it all (for me). I mean, for the guitarists here who've heard Mike talk about the more technical aspects of what they do: "I bought the amp because it didn't have a lot of knobs on it." It seems as though he just writes and plays, and doesn't know the details, so to speak.. Though I love Opeth's music, I wasn't always as fond of Mike's songwriting style as I am now. I used to think it was kind of lame that he doesn't know where a song's is going. I used to think he made his songwriting style sound "artistic" by saying he pieces it together like a puzzle, or their songs just "turn out" as long as they do. I mean, I think songs like By The Pain I See In Others are like leftovers that Mike didn't want to throw away, but didn't really sound good anywhere. Now I have more appreciation for Mike songwriting style, because he's kind of like an author. He gets an idea, but doesn't really know where it's going to go. He just kind of pieces things together.

Peter is cool, but I don't think he's that good. His solos are pretty bland, and are more like fills. Take the first solo in Deliverance, for example. It practically ends on the same note it starts on. It's a slightly impressive display of technical ability, but it doesn't really take the song anywhere. The last solo in the song, which I believe Mike wrote, is very transitional, and actually takes the song somewhere. I definitely appreciate that more.

Mendez is definitely a steady bass player, but I don't think what he does shines as much as what Johan did. Take, for example, 10:20 - 11:09 on Forest Of October, and 2:16 - 3:10 on Black Rose Immortal. Mendez never sounds like that. I don't think that's his fault, though. I think part of the reason Johan and Anders are no longer in the band is that Mikael slowly realized what he wanted to do as a songwriter and musician, and he needed musicians that were more skilled, and who let him have almost total artistic control. I think in the days of Orchid and Morningrise, there was way more input from the other band members.

That's why I'm going to have to say that Lopez is my favorite musician who's ever been Opeth. Though he isn't always as tight live as he is on the album 'cause he's wasted sometimes (who can blame him?), I think that he contributes a lot of subtle and interesting musical ideas that help keep everything interesting. Anders is hardly competition. I mean, I forgot where I read this, but apparently after leaving (getting kicked out of?) Opeth, Anders quit playing drums. You know the guy wasn't that convicted, musically. Lopez rules!

T-Rat said:
they are all so focused and so talented--i mean, i think they are a group in the full sense of the term and that everyone pulls his weight.
so i voted for lopez 'cause i think he's dreamy... HA!

Totally agree. I too watched the dvd again the other night and I'm awed by each and every one of them equally. Therefore, I cannot pic a fave as far as musicianship is concerned. So....

I vote for Peter cuz he's freakin' hot :OMG:

:D

^^^ heehee!
but he's taken, so it's more fun to lust after lopez...
(mendez looks exactly like my ex-husband, so i try not to look at his face too much, but it's usually covered by hair anyway!)

This just so happens to be a rather difficult question to answer in my opinion, But I am just going to have to choose Mikael. And the reason behind my answer would simply just be because I really admire his musical creativity.

T-Rat said:
^^^ heehee!
but he's taken, so it's more fun to lust after lopez...
(mendez looks exactly like my ex-husband, so i try not to look at his face too much, but it's usually covered by hair anyway!)

Ehhh, taken shmaken, he's hot, that's all I care about. :lol: