Favourite To-Mera riffs

lordcatfish

Sep 23, 2005
Liverpool, UK
In another bid to try and keep the board a bit more active, I came up with this (very original) thread. So yeah, exactly what the thread title says basically. Try and limit it to about 5 per album (I know that's hard because they have A LOT of riffs, but that's the challenge). I'll post my list once I've had time to consider it.

Hope this thread doesn't bomb, but maybe it'll help kill time until we get a few more updates.

Figured I'd post some sort of list now. I've done my best to describe them and put timings in for most of them.

"Inside the Hourglass" - main riff/chorus riff.
No brainer here really. Heavy, catchy, melodic.

"A Sorrow to Kill" - 4:25 - 5:03
Absolute beast of a riff.

"A Sorrow to Kill" - 6:30 - 6:54
Very cool Opeth-esque riff (but better than theirs, obviously :p).

"Asylum" - 3:45 - 4:02
My least favourite song of the album, but this riff is killer.

"Temptation" - 3:25 - 4:40
I love the way this riff and the drumming contrast with the vocals and keyboards, fantastic stuff.

"Blood" - main riff
I remember Lee describing this riff being a beast to play. Definately worth all that effort.

"Dreadful Angel" - main/verse riff
Heavy, driving riff.

"Phantoms" - 5:25 - 5:37
I'm running out of adjectives. You should know how good these riffs are.

"Born of Ashes" - 2:18 - 2:34 (pre chorus riff)
My favourite piece of music from To-Mera. Just incredible riffing combined with the drumming/vocals/keys etc.

"Born of Ashes" - chorus riff (aka riff after the above)
An awesome riff to follow up and awesome riff.

I can't believe you didn't mention Glory of a New Day-riffs!

on 1:04 and on 1:56

GREAT riffs!! I love them!

And the Opeth-riff on A sorrow to Kill is also one of my favorites, obviously, since my favorite band is Opeth. But because of that, I must say it's not better than the riff it reminds me of...

Glory does indeed have some awesome riffs in it.

Though I think the most riff-tastic song on Delusions has got to be Mirage. It's pretty much wall-to-wall riffing!