Favourite DEMOS?

Hell Mike

fuck melodic black metal
Aug 22, 2003
Norrland
www.nasheim.se
Which are your favourite demos released by metal bands and why?

A few I find extraordinary are these:

DÖDFÖDD - Besvärjelse för Omvänd Rekreation
This is probably the best demo ever released. Highly original and truly AWESOME black metal, I think it was released on CD sometime later on (With one of the other demos)? It's just so fucking good, I won't even try to describe it. Fucking awesome in all ways.

Tormentor - The 7th Day of Doom
Again, highly original, early Hungarian black metal that is probably well known enough for you all to have heard it. Excellent, and better than Anno Domini.

Azhubham Haani - On a Snowy Winternight
Again, Swedish black metal, but this time from the early 90s and a solo effort. Dunno how to describe this really, but it fucking rocks.

OK, that's all for now. Often bands don't reach their high until their first (few) album(s) and then lose it, but these three are exceptions, and unfortunately none of them released much more than what is mentioned here.

Tormentor - The 7th Day of Doom
Again, highly original, early Hungarian black metal that is probably well known enough for you all to have heard it. Excellent, and better than Anno Domini.

Azhubham Haani - On a Snowy Winternight
Again, Swedish black metal, but this time from the early 90s and a solo effort. Dunno how to describe this really, but it fucking rocks.

FUCK yes on both accounts.

Have not heard DÖDFÖDD - Besvärjelse för Omvänd Rekreation but obviously I am missing out and will get it ASAP.

FUCK yes on both accounts.

Have not heard DÖDFÖDD - Besvärjelse för Omvänd Rekreation but obviously I am missing out and will get it ASAP.

Yes you are. It's not as primitive as the others but just fucking excellent. I'll provide you with illegal mp3s when you get back to the fatherland if you want, I suspect the demo is pretty hard to get now. Emil (The driving force of the band) turned christian a few years back after being totally in with the kool crowd (Played in Ofermod, Emit etc) so unless he changes his mind again, no more of his truly excellent black metal will be available... A shame.

I have to think of more kickass demos as there are lots (See: Helheim - Nidr Ok Nordr Liggr Helvegr), but I wanna think of something that isn't black metal... Tips? Most non-BM bands apparently peak with their first "proper" release (EP, album etc) for some reason, while the devil-worshippers also get a shot at it with their demos...

I'll name some demos I think are kewl if I don't have to write a blurb on them. :loco:

Angel Witch - pre album demos (namely the Sinister History CD)
Garlik De'th - Load Error (on the While God Sleeps CD)
Morgion - Rabid Decay
Nigro Mantia - Poetry Of Subculture
Darkified - Dark (on A Dance on the Grave CD)
Revelation - Mourning Son
Revelation - Frozen Masque
666 - Nekrofilie
Törr - Witchhammer
Agalloch - From Which of This Oak
Blood Farmers - Permanent Brain Damage
Darkthrone demos

Newer shit by Lethal, Corrupt, Tribulation, Degial, Deathevokation, Mandatory, Eviscerated, etc. These are among my favorite demos I've actually heard, though I'm generally not huge on demos, especially when they're not available, unless they're highly, highly recommended to me.

so the correct answer is vargnatt but i don't really like demos all that much they are too polished

i like ulvers 93 rehearsal and dimmu borgirs 93 rehearsal and mayhem from the darkest past and thorns tröndertun & grymyrk

Goat Molestor's "Ancient Barbaric Assault" is the one demo I always go back on. Fucking excellent.

The Funerary Pit demo is awesome too.

Necrovore - Divus De Mortuus
Goat Molestor - Ancient Barbaric Assault
Alioth - Channeling unclean Spirits
Fullmoon - United Aryan Evil
Gontyna Kry - Welowie

Treblinka - The Sign of the Pentagram
Gontyna Kry - Welowie
Oblomov - Final Destination
Mefisto - Megalomania, The Puzzle
Nihilist - All of em
WitTR - 2004, S/T