Favourite Top 10 albums of 2009

forgottenglory

Earth. Soul. Rock n' Roll
Jan 26, 2003
London, UK
www.forgottenglory.com
What are your favourite Top 10 albums of 2009? Mine in no particular order of preference are as follows:

• Karma - WINGER
  • Homeland - RED CIRCUIT
  • Outloud - OUTLOUD
  • The Works - CHITRAL "CHITY" SOMAPALA
  • My Private Hell - STEEVI JAIMZ
  • Paradox - THRESHOLD
  • Monster Philosophy - D.A.D.
  • Black Clouds and Silver Linings - DREAM THEATER
  • Black Gives Way To Blue - ALICE IN CHAINS
  • The Whirlwind - TRANSATLANTIC

cover1921_118699.jpg

200px-thehazardsoflove1.jpg

200px-All_Shall_Fall.jpg

dark-funeral-angelus-exuro-pro-eternus.jpg

2826.jpg

200px-Sonata_Arctica_-_The_Days_of_Grays.jpg

200px-Maudlin_of_the_Well_-_Part_the_second.jpg

The_Devin_Townsend_Project_-_Addicted_%282009%29.jpg

gwynbleiddnostalgia.jpg

Updated! 10-01-10

I totally forgot about the new Shadow Gallery! I don't like their old stuff, but I may as well try this one out

(This year never happened > : ( )

Devin Townsend Project – Ki
Devin Townsend Project – Addicted
Gösta Berlings Saga – Detta Har Hänt
Amesoeurs – Amesoeurs
Mew – No More Stories...
Porcupine Tree – The Incident
Katatonia - Night is The New Day
Mono - Hymn To The Immortal Wind
Muse – The Resistance
Candlemass – Death Magic Doom

Well I guess these make for my top 10 when it comes to full studio albums.

I'd add Shadow Gallery to my list as well. Although I don't own it yet, I listened to it. What a fantastic comeback! Brian Ashland honours the spirit of Mike Baker!

That's funny, I don't own any of the albums I listed :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

I really like the new shadow gallery. Could be because I had no/low expectations.

That's funny, I don't own any of the albums I listed :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Bad boy! :D

I really like the new shadow gallery. Could be because I had no/low expectations.

I'm a huge Shadow Gallery fan. I didn't expect them to get a singer who sounded that close to Mike. When I heard the new SG, I didn't even notice the change! I'm glad they decided to continue in the same direction as this is the SG I have always loved!

1. Augury - Fragmentary Evidence
2. Portal - Swarth
3. Ulcerate - Everything is Fire
4. Mastodon - Crack the Skye
5. Converge - Axe to Fall
6. Tom Waits - Glitter and Doom Live
7. Isis - Wavering Radiant
8. Vengeful - The Omnipresent Curse
9. dredg - The Pariah, The Parrot, The Delusion

I'm a huge Shadow Gallery fan. I didn't expect them to get a singer who sounded that close to Mike. When I heard the new SG, I didn't even notice the change! I'm glad they decided to continue in the same direction as this is the SG I have always loved!

I thought the vocals very significantly changed! Vocals sound way more Geoff Tate-ish now.

7. Immortal - All Shall Fall
11. Vertical Horizon - Burning The Days
1. Dredg - The Pariah, The Parrot, The Delusion
10. OSI - Blood
5. Scar Symmetry - Dark Matter Dimensions
6. The Tangent - Down & Out In Paris & London
2. Oceansize - Home & Minor EP
3. Katatonia - Night Is The New Day
12. The Wishing Tree - Ostara
8. Amorphis - Skyforger
9. Isis - Wavering Radiant
4. Transatlantic - The Whirlwind

I don't feel up to making/ranking a top 10 right now, but a couple that definitely jump out right off the bat to me are:

-Beardfish- Destined Solitaire
-The Bombastic Meatbats- Meet the Meatbats (which I highly reccomend fans of instrumental funk/fusion stuff check out...this record is solid through and through)

I'd never listened to Dredg before, but with Ken talking about them a lot here and seeing their new one pop up on a LOT of "best of '09" lists, I decided a few minutes ago to check out some clips from the new album and I'm pleasantly surprised. I don't know why, but I'd assumed they were some sort of black or death metal band based on the tastes of most people I'd heard talk about them. I'll order the album and give it a go. Some other new releases that I still need to dig into are The Whirlwind, Blood, Experiments in Mass Appeal, and Anno Domini High Definition. I've heard bits of The Whirlwind and really liked what I heard. I'm a big fan of their previous releases so I have high hopes. I recently got into The Dear Hunter and I think their new(est) release is really good...not sure how well they'd be received 'round these parts. The new Paisley album is great, I loved 3's Revisions, and I think some of the best stuff I got this year were some live bootlegs from 3/Joey Eppard. I also got a copy of Marillion's "Less is More" for Xmas and haven't been able to listen to it yet...so hopefully that's another winner. In addition to new releases, I found a lot of pre-'09 jems this year too...it really was a great year in music for me.