Feared Mixing Competition 2013

Big 60Hz boost FTW!

Do you HP bass above it so it doesn't intensifier?
I boosted around 45hz but probably not that much that it thundered like your beast :).
My kick had Waves bass rider for evening volume> EQ> compression for little punch > automating volume for double bass runs bit lower.

lekteri, awesome idea to add with orchestral stuff, I was thinking to do same, only wanted to sing some lyrics with emulating choir... but I fucked up some notes and discarded idea.

The bottom end of a kick is usually 60-80.
Boosting below that doesn't do much.
I used a medium bell rather than a shelf

The bottom end of a kick is usually 60-80.
Boosting below that doesn't do much.
I used a medium bell rather than a shelf

On ath-m50 I hear difference on 45-50hz boost, but I added it with bell to have kinda similar level to 60-70hz thud, probably bit lower to get tasty meat, not overcooked.
BTW, Mick, have you been able to check at least one run-through that mix I sent you to valuate? You are the only one person opinion I want to hear about it.

On ath-m50 I hear difference on 45-50hz boost, but I added it with bell to have kinda similar level to 60-70hz thud, probably bit lower to get tasty meat, not overcooked.
BTW, Mick, have you been able to check at least one run-through that mix I sent you to valuate? You are the only one person opinion I want to hear about it.

Totally forgot to check your mix you sent. will do it early over the weekend.
Watch out boosting that low. You are going to eat digital headroom and the ear isn't that sensitive that low, so you will end up with a quieter sounding mix.

Totally forgot to check your mix you sent. will do it early over the weekend.
Watch out boosting that low. You are going to eat digital headroom and the ear isn't that sensitive that low, so you will end up with a quieter sounding mix.

But I hear it really clear that low. If it isn't there it sound tighter, but with it it has really lovelly meat. I tried to tame beast not to go more than needed.

Last edited by a moderator:
(removed soundcloud link)
First i didnt want to participate but to hell with it! Also i pretty much dig the guitar sound, it was fun to mix:)

@nezvers: Hey mate! Thanks for your feedback. Yes i was aware of the bass being out of control, but thank you for confirming it, anyway since my monitoring is utter crap i need to rely on other people's ears too. Listened to your mix and its really decent, but still i would cut the really high registers a bit more(sometimes its better leaving it there but you should figure it out by comparison)

anyway here is the reuploaded one of my entry: https://soundcloud.com/snotstorm/fearedmixingcomp

I dont believe there are better and worse mixes at some point only different ones and i see a lot of lot of good ones! keep up the good work folks!

Labelchild, you really good mix only for my preference snare was a bit too loud. Tasty vocal layering and sick guitar solo!

thicksnotsludge, I would want to hear a bit more of bass guitar in mix wise, it appears in several riffs. But other than that nice mixdown.

Mashreef, :D nice to see someone turned on for that Extra brakedown.

Nice work. This is one of the few balanced ones I've heard so far.

+1! Besides your mix Ermz, this is my favorite so far.

The fucking low-end is FAT AS FUCK but never boomy and that SNR is SLAMMIN'!!!

@labelchild: Did you by chance blend one of my DEATH SNR's in there? =D Kinda sounds like it but I could be wrong.

My only critique would be the vocals. Not enough character, they sound almost raw which isn't too fitting for the rest of the mix which is totally rockin'....

More tasteful compression/saturation and you're good. =D

May I ask what you have on your 2BUSS? =D

+1! Besides your mix Ermz, this is my favorite so far.

The fucking low-end is FAT AS FUCK but never boomy and that SNR is SLAMMIN'!!!

@labelchild: Did you by chance blend one of my DEATH SNR's in there? =D Kinda sounds like it but I could be wrong.

My only critique would be the vocals. Not enough character, they sound almost raw which isn't too fitting for the rest of the mix which is totally rockin'....

More tasteful compression/saturation and you're good. =D

May I ask what you have on your 2BUSS? =D

Wow thanks so much! I'm basically trying as hard as I can at this point in my life to do this professionally so the kind words mean a lot coming from you two :D. I agree on the vox, just need more experience I guess. I'm going to do a tutorial on the mix for my channel after the due date but lemme go check the session and I'll write what I have on my 2BUS

Edit: VCC Mixbus on Neve (for that extra little brightness) ---> VTM (30ips, 2track, norm bias, fg9 just bouncing into the 0-3 area) --> The Glue (30/100 HP at 121hz 4-5db GR) --> Izotope 5 EQ using a ITTY BITTY BIT of match EQ towards the "pink slope" this just smoothed out and emphasized the high end --> FG-X With 4 lo-punch, 6 detail, 1 dynamic perception. That's it!

PEOPLE:

FEARED MIXING COMPETITION CLOSING

Remember to post your entries to the Feared Mixing Competition before the 5th of February. Everything posted after that will not be heard.
Also make sure to tag your contribution with #fearedmixingcomp

Also if you uploaded more than one entry make sure to just tag ONE of them. If the jury finds duplicates of the same entry that submission will get disqualified. Meaning if you uploaded both to sound cloud AND youtube, make sure you only tag one of them.

ALSO make sure you check your private messages on your Youtube and Soundcloud between the 5th and 10th to claim your prize if you win.

Hope you guys had an awesome time with this competition. The jury will announce the 3 winners by 10th of February.

Also If you like mixing this stuff be sure to check out http://www.fearedband.com to get the Deluxe Edition of the upcoming album containing the following stuff:

- Digipak CD version of Feared - Furor Incarnatus with included DVD
- Digital version of Feared - Furor Incarnatus
- Flyer signed by the band
- All Access Hangpass laminate. Meet, greet and talk gear at shows with the members of Feared.
- Feared Guitar pick

The DVD including:

- Feared Stems(audio files separated) for all songs
- RAW tracks. Mix the songs from scratch!
- Mastering notes and pictures
- Guitar DI files for all songs
- Drum MIDI for all songs
- Superior 2.0 Feared presets (Requires Superior 2.0 and SDX Metal Heads) (Not used on album)
-Kemper, Axe Fx2 and Pod HD Pro patches(not used on album)

Best regards / Ola and Feared

Here is my entry!

Would like to get some feedback too if possible!

To Ola : I uploaded the wrong version of the mix on soundcloud and it was tagged. I deleted it then put up the right one and tagged that one. Im assuming thats fine and im not disqualified :S?

Hello everybody!

Still haven't finished, but I would really like to have some feedback from you guys, since I'm probably the youngest guy entering the competition (17) and still have a lot to learn.

Edit: don't know why the player doesn't work... - working now