Feedback on mix please

jkerr

New Metal Member
Apr 13, 2006
Scotland
Hi all

I am trying to get the hang of this mixing thing! I would really appreciate some feedback on this mix.

The main problem I am having is the lead and clean tones. I can't get them to work with everything else very good (the lead tone isn't the greatest by its-self either).

The snare is quite loud at places too. The drum programming sucks balls (some hits are missing and it lacks variety).

Rhythm guitars are double tracked with pod HD500 tubescreamer>LE456>Guitar Hack's EDGE -1 ala sneap pic and Fredman Straight impluses blended (edge ala sneap being louder)> HP at 100Hz LP at 10kHz.

Lead guitar is the same chain with a little bit more mids and gain. Reaverb (reaper plugin) and Gdelay is on there as well.

Bass is a pitch shifted guitar with PODfarm.

Drums are Metalheads EZX with kick and snare replaces with slate samples.

There are more riffs to go at the end of the song as well.

Thanks a lot!:kickass:

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a really nice mix! Great overall balance and separation. The only (and first) thing that I've noticed (before I throughly read your post) was the loose low/sub frequencies... But then I saw that it wasn't a bass guitar which explains the lack of solid and tight bass and instead the presence of this sub-rumble... Get someone to record the bass and you'll have a hell of a mix! :)
But other that that, and not be picky - I think it really sounds good!

Edit: On a second pass, it seems like you might try to take off or tighten tiiiiiny bit of those lows on kick and toms too...

Cheers for the advice! I will get it recorded with a real bass at some point next week and the drum programming will be fixed as well.