Feedback on my mix? \m/

"Evil" Aidy

Mörti Viventi
Jul 15, 2007
Stamford, Lincs
Hey everyone, it's been ages since I posted anything in here.

Last time I gigged, the sound engineer was kind enough to rig up his laptop and multi-track record the mics and then send the files onto me.

Hearing a mult-track live recording is particularly interesting to me as I believe you can learn a lot from it and it's also loads of fun fiddling around afterwards with the volume levels, adding a little EQ here 'n' there and laughing at your own mistakes... So what I've been working with is five drum mics (kick, snare and three toms), bass DI, two mics for each guitar (one on each cab) and two vocal mics.

I'm just looking for a bit of feedback on the mix. How's it sound?

Thanks.

The mix doesn't sound bad for a live mix, the drums have the same live sound issues. If you didn't do any editing, you guys are really tight! Good job.

Hey thanks for listening and commenting!

I found the drum mics were picking up a lot of everything around them. Any tips for mixing live drums?

I had to balance a few levels out such as turning up a few of the tom hits and turn the snare down on some of the stronger and louder hits. Also had to mute a few mics now and again, particularly the vocal mic as it was picking up a lot of noise! The guitar cab on the same side as the china cymbal had a fair bit of china coming through too actually now I think about it.