Feedback request: Vocaloid symphonic metal mix

Fealow

New Metal Member
Oct 25, 2012
United Kingdom
Hi there, I just joined the forum today for the purpose of learning what I can about metal production and mixing. I am currently mixing a metal piece as a favour for one of my composers (I'm part of a music circle) who we shall call "the client". Prior to this I have never had the opportunity to mix metal in my past, so this is new territory for me. I try to keep my genres as wide as possible and I have some more metal mixes coming up in the future, so I'm wanting to learn all I can during my stay at this forum.

Here is a quick brief about the song:

-Lead vocals are sung by a vocaloid (some of you may be unfamiliar with this). I'm still unsure about the vocal balance and reverb, want to try out some early reflections and higher pre delay instead.

-The arrangements is not overly dense, but a lot of the tracks share similar frequency ranges. I took the liberty of resampling the strings and exploding their triads to counter this, as well as resampling the solo violin as it was too synthetic and lacked dynamics.

-The client asked to have the rhythm guitars mid scooped quite extremely (between 250hz - 1.5khz) so they don't contain a huge amount of pitch information which I personally feel is not good for the song. I've done my best to compromise on that though. I need most advice on the rhythm guitars as they are plaguing me the most in this mix. they were recorded using a guitar box, not sure which one, then amped and contoured using amplitude 3 (by the client).

- I'm content with the drums, but still find that the snare is not quite right regarding its distance from the listener. Need to tweak the length and pre delay a little more I think. I personally feel I did pretty well with the kick, I spent some time to automate the release on the compressor for the double kick sections to get a consistent feel and tone through out the song.

- Considering turning down the solo guitars and violin, but bringing them forward in the mix by easing off on the low pass filters.

- The bass seems to be sitting nicely in the mix, what do you think?

- The mix is not 100% complete, I still have to do some automation here and there on the vocals as well as some EQ automation on the instruments. The master is rough just so I could "impress" the client with what I currently had.

Roughly 70% of this mix was done on a pair of DT990 pro's and a VRM box because I had to do a lot of surgical and mirror EQ.

Here is the mix:

Nine tails rough master

All feedback and criticism is welcome and will be much appreciated, this is my first metal mix so I need to learn everything I can from this experience.

Thanks.

The bass and guitar seem to blend really well, I like it. The only thing that's bothering me is that snare. Needs to be a more up-front like you said, and maybe give it a bit more body. It sounds really clicky in some parts and the body of it isn't coming through the mix too well in some parts

The bass and guitar seem to blend really well, I like it. The only thing that's bothering me is that snare. Needs to be a more up-front like you said, and maybe give it a bit more body. It sounds really clicky in some parts and the body of it isn't coming through the mix too well in some parts

Thanks for the feedback, i'm glad to hear that the bass and guitar are sitting pretty. The snare however as you said is not quite right, I cant seem to find a place for it, the song has an ambient feel to it without any extra FX so I soundsl as though the snare needs to be pushed back somewhat, but maybe I overdid it.