Feedback wanted on short mix

Markdude

May 24, 2008
Austin, TX
simplehomerecording.com
Hi guys,

This is my take on a Harmony Central Amp Forum drumjam (one user posts a bounced drum track and other users record whatever they want over it, just for fun). I recorded guitars and bass over it and am trying to get a little bit of practice at mixing.

I know that drums are one of the most important (if not THE most important) factors in how an overall mix sounds, so I do realize it's rather silly to ask for feedback when that's something that I can't really modify very much, but humor me here. I'm mainly wondering about the relationship between my guitars and bass, and the low end of the bass in general.

Thanks!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7191337/testmix.mp3

Thanks, dude!

I listened and left a reply in that thread. Any chance you could shed some light on the recording and the mixing of the bass on your tracks? I like it, it's got a good grind and it's pretty big without getting out of hand. The bass is what's giving me the most trouble in my mixes.

With my crappy listening setup, it seems like perhaps the kick is occupying most of the <100 hz space, and the bass doesn't have a ton of low end. Is that correct? I'm wondering if mine sounds boomy because it's got too much energy where the kick should be doing its thing.