Feeler: potential 1176 group buy build

DigitalMetal

Building a Mini SSL
Jan 23, 2009
London UK
Ok to prevent the hijacking of Williamn's thread here:

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/equipment/696002-clone-builders-eu.html

Please register your interest and ask/chat about it here.

First off i think i will do Rev F 1176's (unless anyone gives a good justification why it should be another revision,) and if that goes well i will move on to SSL Bus comps and perhaps on to other things such as Pre's,
The easiest way i will be able to handle these builds is in small batches perhaps up to 10 at a time, i have no projected start date as yet so it will be kinda based on how much interest there is and when buyers want them/are willing to pay for them.

I will most likley take an initial payment of about £350 and the remaining balance on completion and testing of the units i can see them potentially costing £550-£600 in total,

Any questions? Fire away!

i cant necessarily see it getting any cheaper really,
maybe "Group buy" is the wrong term to use but what i mean by the whole thing is, if there are enough interested parties to make it worthwhile for me to get my tools out and dedicate the time to buying in and building a small number of units for those who want an 1176 but cant affort the £1000-£1200 or whatever they cost.
Obviously its cheaper for anyone to build their own from a kit but some people do not have the confidence/resources/time inclination to build their own,
All im really trying to do it make it slightly worth my while and taking a fair figure for my labour/time/knowledge/resources.
So no its not really a case of "the more i build the cheaper it gets" and above a certain number (perhaps 10) i wont be able to handle in 1 batch so if there is incrdable interest i may have to do a second or third batch.

I hope that straightens things out a bit,

Oh, and im in the UK so it may be slightly prohibative to ship worldwide, obviously shipping cost will be on top of the price, so if an overseas interested party is willing to cover their shipping then i see no reason not to ship internationally too.

I'm definitely interested,

Also a heads up as soon as possible on the start date would be nice, so I can make sure I have monies :)

@guitarguru you are my exact target audience i guess (would like one dont wanna build one)

@Jaymz this whole thing is your fault, i hold you personally responsable :)

@acappa its gonna be around that price but cant confirm anything yet,

@Trevoire520 if theres enough interest (i guess multiples of 5 ish and the first lot goes smooth without too much ball ache then yes i may well do more).

@the rest of you, nice one il start trying to cost and plan things asap i guess theres enough of you already to justify a first build just gotta work out timing etc and il keep you updated as much as poss here.

Depending on the price i'm definitely interested in this. I was just saving up to buy an outboard comp and eq anyways. Even though i'd prefer a Rev A or D, this would be an awesome way to save money an a great comp.

EDIT: BTW What kind of chassis will you use? are you going for the traditional 1176 black faceplate look or something different?

how much do you think itll be??
I WAS gonna do a rev a.. but now i might be greedy and do both ;)

And if it goes well....feel free to ship all your girlfriends to my address below...:D

You can by all means have any groupies if they ever show up, My wife will condone that for sure !

I was personally thinking of wanting a Rev A myself (sexy bluestripe chassis of course) but becuase the F's (black chassis) are supposed to be less noisy i think its a safe place to start.

Stock traditional looking chassis meters and knobs throughout.

Like i said before any worthwile justification as to why a particular Rev should be done over the F please say so and we'll see what the majority want.