FEN - Epoch" - reviews

http://www.sputnikmusic.com/review/41705/Fen-Epoch/

The progression made by Fen since their debut LP The Malediction Fields proves to be introverted and rather subtle, with their latest album Epoch clawing further down into their niche of atmospheric black metal, post-rock and shoegaze. It’s this very identity that has drawn comparisons to such titans as Agalloch and Wolves In The Throne Room, but those who continue to shell out such labels may need to think twice. Epoch, aside from its winding and heavily atmospheric structures that focus almost wholeheartedly on the darker and more surreal aspects of nature, is its own beast; drawing heavily from the sheer intensity of black metal while also leaving ample room for exploration into the ethereal soundscapes of shoegaze and post-rock to levels beyond that of their so-called counterparts in the metal scene. Whether or not these further elaborations add to or detract from the overall product is up in the air, but the flourishing ideas that are strewn about Epoch show a band that is on the cusp of becoming something worth talking about.

The album is at its best when it doesn’t seem to be so intent on driving home a particular mood or feeling. The clean vocals feel contrived and too concentrated on creating serious emotion to realize they are doing the exact opposite- pretentious cooing by a vocalist whose aspirations far outweigh his vocal ability, a trait perfectly displayed during the first several minutes of “Half-Light Eternal”. On the other hand, the down-to-earth and true emotion portrayed during such blissful segments as the second half of “Carrier Of Echoes” is simply astounding and wholeheartedly real- these are the makings for something truly special. The entire album seems to rest precariously on this motif, one that is trapped on a thin ledge between utter mediocrity and greatness, simply needing a small nudge in songwriting and a more well-thought out sense of direction to propel Fen’s sound to the next level.

The same can be said of the more aggressive side to Epoch, taking itself too seriously to integrate well with its laid-back and atmospheric backdrop. While far from being a waste of time, the intense black metal that riddles the album only partially acknowledges the fact that it isn’t the only sound present here. It’s as if the two are roommates who have exactly the opposite schedule- when one is at home the other is nowhere to be found and vice versa, with their few interactions both awkward and rather brief. The rasps of vocalist “The Watcher” are more than adequate; above-average, in fact, when compared to releases with similar influences. They are throaty and raspy, with an edge that blends well with the torrent of crashing drums and rumbling bass when the album picks up in intensity, making songs like “Ghost Of The Flood” noteworthy despite their clumsy attempts to work in the slower-paced aspects of Epoch that comprise the opposite face on the same coin.

Epoch is so very close to being something truly incredible, but the problem is that it has one final, monumental step to take before such things can be claimed. Fen need to sift through their songs and their goals and intentions, and need to have the eye to realize what works well and what doesn’t. It’s almost frustrating in a sense that the moments of brilliance within Epoch aren’t used to their full potential, and the precious balance between the calm and benign and the visceral and intense needs to be addressed with more focused and fluid songwriting. Yes, the faults contained within Epoch are massive, but I can guarantee that the potential held somewhere within the minds of the members of Fen shines through enough times here to warrant a listen, if only to hopefully capture a glimpse of what the future may look like.

http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=32242

5/5

Epoch is a stunning second album from Fen; there's no sophomore jinx here. After making some waves with their 2009 debut, Fen has returned with Epoch - a monumental masterpiece to go down for the ages. This is one of the most beautiful, moving, and immersing records I have ever experienced, with melodies that will haunt your mind for weeks and riffs that should put other bands to shame. Although I do consider myself a black metal fan, I can't think of more than a few albums in the entire genre that I'd put up there with Epoch. What these Englishmen have created here is not only a great listen, but an essential masterpiece that no music collection is complete without. I may be handing out compliments left and right (and I will be for the rest of the review), but every one of them is wholeheartedly deserved. Try as I might, finding a weak spot on Epoch is a difficult task - one that I may never complete in this lifetime. Ladies and gentlemen, I think we have a serious contender for album of the year 2011 right here.
The music on Epoch is a perfect mix between lethal black metal and beautiful post rock. What that means is that there are tons of dark atmospheres, beautiful acoustics, and unbeatable dynamics on Fen's latest effort. Compositionally speaking, this album is impeccable, and manages to reach into the deepest emotional corridors of the human soul. Words fail when it comes to describing that "magical" feeling I get when hearing a masterpiece like "The Gibbet Elms". Epoch covers a wide spectrum of emotions, resulting in a bleak rollercoaster-ride of an album. It took a few tries for Epoch to completely sink in, even though I knew from first listen that I was in for something special. The musicians that make up Fen aren't very concerned about "showing off" (the album would be disastrous if they sacrificed emotion for endless noodling), but they prove their worth throughout Epoch. The guitar playing from The Watcher is especially notable - he has a magnificent style that is truly admirable. Just listen to some of his melodic playing in the title track and you'll get the gist of what I mean there. The synthesizers from Æðelwalh add a terrific atmosphere to the album, and give a slight symphonic flavor to Epoch.
The production is very raw and vintage sounding. This album combines the rawness of the black metal scene with the warmth of 70's prog rock, resulting in an amazing overall sound. I couldn't imagine Epoch any other way.
Conclusion:
Although 2011 is still young, I'd be shocked if Epoch didn't make my top 5 list when December rolls around. What Fen has created here is not only a masterpiece of post black metal, but a monumental record to go down for the ages. Those who read my reviews know that I seldom use the 5 star option; yet it'd be criminal for me to do anything else here. Few albums in any genre manage to immerse me like Epoch. Not only is this a terrific album that any metal fan should own, it's honestly one of the finest black metal releases in its long and winding history. The feeling I get when listening to this album is unexplainable. This is one of the most magical and essential albums I own - I'd recommend anyone who likes music to check out this essential masterpiece.

Inferno Rock magazine nr 03 - printed

Gli inglesi Fen si fecero notare un paio d’anni fa per The Malediction
Fields, interessante rilettura del black metal con elementi progressive
e post-rock con molti punti di contatto verso Enslaved, Wolves In The
Throne Room, Deathspell Omega, Opeth, Alcest e Drudkh. Rispetto a
quell’album Epoch suona più etereo e diluito, con le sole Ashbringer e
Ghost In The Flood ad offrire passaggi graffianti e riconducibili al black metal. Sono la malinconia
e le atmosfere sognanti a dominare sulla gran parte dell’album, mentre gli strumenti si muovono
ancora di più in direzione shoegaze e post-rock soprattutto in tracce ipnotiche come The Gibbet
Elms, Half-Light Eternal e Carrier Of Echoes. L’impressione è ancora di transizione, un po’ per via
delle vocals in screaming troppo ingombranti, opposte a quelle pulite ancora in gran parte
inesplorate, e un po’ per i cambi di ritmo ed atmosfera a volte eccessivamente repentini.
Si tratta però di piccoli difetti in un album stimolante, capace di trasportare in un’altra
dimensione chi sa ascoltare con attenzione.

7/10

http://www.ondarock.it/recensioni/2011_fen.htm

È ormai consuetudine tra addetti ai lavori codificare sotto la stramba dicitura shoegaze black metal tutte quelle esperienze musicali che, partendo da un solido retroterra black metal, impreziosiscono la propria proposta musicale attingendo a piene mani da generi apparentemente distanti come post-rock, post-core e ambient music. Alcest, Amesoeurs, Wolves In The Throne Room sono i nomi più celebri ascrivibili a questa famiglia, alla quale aggiungiamo, con piacere, gli inglesi Fen e il loro ultimo lavoro "Epoch".

Un'opera polarizzata tra il richiamo a una nobile tradizione - in alcuni momenti si avvertono certe somiglianze con i Novembre di "Classica" - e un istrionismo che non disdegna l'interiorizzzione di alcuni input cari a tradizioni musicali apparentemente distanti dal black metal come potrebbe essere certo post-hardcore (in più di un episodio si coglie lo spleen che ha ammantato lavori come quelli di City Of Caterpillar).

Esteticamente perfetti i crescendo esplosivi caratterizzanti la title track "Epoch", gli squarci emotivi in apetura di "Carrier Of Echoes", le introspezioni autunnali di "Of Wilderness And Ruin", le sospensioni dark-wave di "Half-Light Eternal" che richiamano da vicino This Empty Flow. Episodi che comunque faticano a cancellare certe inguenità che permangono negli arrangiamenti di Fen: ci si riferisce a certe stucchevoli pacchianerie che ancora risentono del radicamento del gruppo albionico in seno alla tradizione black metal e che, nell'opera in questione, mal si coniugano con l'esplorazione di territori musicali altri dal metallo nero (a questo proposito in più di un episodio le evoluzioni ritmiche di Fen stonano con la struggente delicatezza del contesto). È come se questo "Epoch" si dimostri, nella sua complessiva bellezza, refrattario a lasciarsi alle spalle le colonne d'Ercole che separano l'ortodossia metallica dalla contemplazione di un orrizzonte scevro di cliché e quindi autentico.

http://www.taste-of-black.ch/home4.htm

another 9/10 !!!!! :tickled:

Innerhalb kürzester Zeit haben sich Fen einen Namen in der Kategorie „atmosphärischer Black Metal mit Shoegaze-Einflüssen“ gemacht und legen nach dem fantastischen „The Malediction Fields“ nun mit „Epoch“ zwei Jahre später eine würdige Fortsetzung nach. Wie schon der Vorgänger zeichnet sich auch vorliegende Veröffentlichung durch eine absolut natürliche Produktion aus, die beinahe live entstanden sein könnte. Die Songs sind allerdings weniger harsch, sondern überwiegend entspannt, gelassen, fast schon chillig dahinplätschernd, dabei aber stetig subtil glimmend. Wie ihre Brüder im Geiste von Wolves In The Throne Room vermögen die Briten eine schamanische, archaische Aura zu erzeugen, die mit spacigen Elementen (Synths) arbeitet, welche zuweilen einen Pink Floyd-Touch aufweisen. Schon der Einstieg in den Opener und Titelsong lässt einen zurückfallen und in der Musik versinken, haltlos. Nach wie vor wird sehr effektiv mit der Laut-/Leise-Dynamik gearbeitet, dank der die weniger zahlreich gestreuten harschen Parts ihre Wirkung umso effektiver entfalten können. Dezente Streicher wie im Epos „Carrier Of Echoes“ sorgen für einen Schuss ergreifender Dramatik, sind aber nicht bombastisch, sondern im Gegenteil sehr fein und fast schon unauffällig eingesetzt. „Epoch“ hat nicht die Hit-Dichte von „The Malediction Fields“, das mit „Exile's Journey“ und „Colossal Void“ zwei unglaubliche Hymnen enthält, die den Hörer von der ersten Sekunde an fesseln, sondern braucht etwas Zeit, um zu wachsen, was sicher auch an der reduzierten Getragenheit der überlangen Songs liegt. Emotionalen Tiefgang offenbart „Epochs“ selbstredend, nur nicht so offensichtlich wie sein Vorgänger. Herausragend ist das Album deswegen noch lange.

http://truemetal.it/reviews.php?op=albumreview&id=9607

85/100

Quando, due anni or sono, uscì sul mercato discografico “The Malediction Fields” dei Fen, la critica giornalistica sembrò spaccarsi in due: c'era chi intravedeva delle ottime potenzialità non ancora sfruttate a dovere e chi invece parlava già di capolavoro. L'album effettivamente, pur nella sua innegabile bontà, presentava ancora qualche incertezza e ingenuità, soprattutto per quanto concerneva voce e suoni, che ne minarono la perfetta riuscita.

I Fen (nome derivante da bellissime pianure tipicamente britanniche) hanno però creduto nelle loro capacità e sono tornati, con la consueta classe ed eleganza, ad affacciarsi sul mondo della musica con il nuovo “Epoch”. Parlare di un album del genere, c'è da ammetterlo, mette quasi in soggezione, poiché tante sono le emozioni che scaturiscono dalle note di questo splendido lavoro. Sì perché questo è “Epoch”, un meraviglioso esempio di black metal atmosferico, che mette in chiaro -qualora qualcuno ancora ne dubitasse- le capacità del quartetto albionico.

Affrontando un freddo e distaccato discorso musicale, al fine di rendere più comprensibile a tutti quello a cui si va incontro, siamo al cospetto di un'opera che si muove tra post-rock e black metal, non disdegnando però numerose divagazioni, che vanno dal progressive all'hard-rock dei rimpianti anni '70 dello scorso secolo.
Le architetture dei brani, pur nella loro complessità, riescono ad essere a loro modo dirette, senza perdersi mai in arzigogoli o abbellimenti forzati. Tutto scorre con grande naturalezza, facilitando così il processo d'assimilazione dello stesso, rendendolo assai più appassionante e gradevole.

Ascoltare questo gioiello significa però essere, innanzitutto, mentalmente predisposti ad accettare un approccio al black delicato, onirico, che trasforma il genere stesso, spogliandolo della sua primordiale ferocia. Ad emergere è infatti un'innata propensione a rievocare splendidi paesaggi, atmosfere intime. Tutto ciò è permeato da una consolatoria malinconia tipica di quel post-rock a cui si faceva riferimento precedentemente, tanto in voga in questi ultimi tempi. Eppure pensare a questo full-length come figlio di una moda è inconcepibile, tanta è la passionalità travolgente, eppure a tratti composta, che ne scaturisce all'ascolto.
Cercare di paragonare tale lavoro a qualche altro già in circolazione non è impresa facile: lontano da l'“estremismo” (le virgolette sono d'obbligo) sonoro che ha caratterizzato gli ultimi Agalloch, così come dalla delicatezza di “Écailles de Lune”, “Epoch” si pone -per certi versi- più vicino ai Drudkh dell'ultima ora, risultando però migliore sotto tutti i punti di vista.

Sembra pertanto quasi impossibile non rimanere ammaliati dalle delicate note di chitarra che ritroviamo nella title-track, posta in apertura, che da subito incorpora tutti quegli elementi elencati sopra. I 6 minuti e 18 secondi sprigionano classe ed eleganza a non finire. Sia le parti acustiche che quelle elettriche presentano un gusto davvero raro da ritrovare altrove. I Fen però non lavorano solo di classe strumentale: “Epoch” è una piccola gemma dotata di un mood quasi notturno, mistico.
Scorrendo la tracklist, i momenti di massima ispirazione non sono pochi: ecco che quindi citare “The Gibbet Elms” e “Carrier of Echoes” diventa doveroso, se non indispensabile. Nella prima si scorgono influenze progressive di elevatissima fattura in forte contrasto con lo scream mai esasperato di The Watcher, con un risultato finale che soddisferà anche i palati più esigenti.
La seconda è invece un vero e proprio inno all'universo del quartetto inglese. Il pezzo si divide tra lunghi momenti strumentali particolarmente suggestivi, che riportano alla mente i paesaggi britannici da cui i ragazzi prendono il nome, e parti più “classiche” di chiara derivazione Agalloch.
Da applausi è poi il lungo stacco centrale che riesce ad accrescere ancora di più l'impatto emotivo di questo capolavoro.
Deliziosa anche “Half-light Eternal”, decisamente più leggera e in certi frangenti anche spensierata, che ha riportato alla mia mente quanto fatto dagli americani Aeon Spoke, e nella quale gli elementi post-rock prendono, più che evidentemente, il sopravvento.

Tutto perfetto dunque? No, purtroppo. Sembra una sorta di anatema, ma anche questa volta quello che manca al platter, per essere considerato un capolavoro vero e proprio, è una produzione all'altezza della situazione. I suoni più di una volta sono tremendamente impastati e non molto chiari, vanificando un poco la prestazione agli strumenti di ciascun membro. In più di un passaggio le chitarre perdono di potenza e definizione e la cassa della batteria ha un volume fin troppo basso per emergere a dovere.

Eccoci quindi giunti alla fine di questo splendido viaggio. Un'ora e dieci primi pregni di nostalgia, visioni oniriche e pura magia che non potranno lasciare impassibile nessuno. I Fen in quest'uscita non si limitano solo a riconfermare quanto di buono già fatto con “The Malediction Field”, ma compiono un significativo passo avanti, riuscendo finalmente a brillare di luce propria e regalandoci quella che sarà una delle migliori sorprese di questo lungo 2011.

Emanuele Calderone

http://www.roadburn.com/2011/02/album-of-the-day-fen-epoch/

ALBUM OF THE DAY

Lovingly pinched from Sputnikmusic: The progression made by Fen since their debut LP The Malediction Fields proves to be introverted and rather subtle, with their latest album Epoch clawing further down into their niche of atmospheric black metal, post-rock and shoegaze.

It’s this very identity that has drawn comparisons to such titans as Agalloch and Wolves In The Throne Room, but those who continue to shell out such labels may need to think twice. Epoch, aside from its winding and heavily atmospheric structures that focus almost wholeheartedly on the darker and more surreal aspects of nature, is its own beast; drawing heavily from the sheer intensity of black metal while also leaving ample room for exploration into the ethereal soundscapes of shoegaze and post-rock to levels beyond that of their so-called counterparts in the metal scene.
Whether or not these further elaborations add to or detract from the overall product is up in the air, but the flourishing ideas that are strewn about Epoch show a band that is on the cusp of becoming something worth talking about.

METAL MIRROR:

FEN
Epoch
8 Songs (69:46) / VÖ: 11.2.
(code666|Aural)
Der Black Metal, so scheint es derzeit, wird revolutioniert. Mehr denn je landen Monat für Monat die Scheiben aus dem sogenannten Post-Black-Metal-Genre auf unseren Schreibtischen. Fen sind dabei keine Unbekannten. Schon über das vor zwei Jahren erschienene „The Malediction Fields“ staunten Schwarzmetaller nicht schlecht – ein Erfolgserlebnis, das die Briten nun wiederholen möchten. „Epoch“ klingt schon vom Titel gewaltig, ist im Inneren jedoch noch viel erdrückender. Ein nach schlechter Laune riechendes Riff-Morast. Eine Bestie, die sich von Melancholie, zarten Akustikklängen, hartem Black Metal und emotionalen Sprachpassagen ernährt. Keine Facette gewinnt hier je die Oberhand. Das harte Fundament und der emotionale Aufbau gehören hier untrennbar zusammen und bieten unter der Oberfläche viele Erkundungsmöglichkeiten.
7 / 10 (Dorian Gorr)

http://blackterrormetal.com/index.php?option=com_simple_review&Itemid=2&review=1110-Fen---Epoch

“Epoch” è il ritorno sulle scene dei Fen, realtà inglese, che già un paio di anni fa, si era distinta grazie ad un promettente debutto: “The Malediction Fields”.
Con questo disco, la band prosegue il discorso interrotto con la precedente uscita discografica è diventa ancora più sperimentale e varia. “Epoch” è un disco delicato, raffinato, anche se non mancano le “schitarrate” black metal presenti anche nel debutto.
Chiaramente, non possiamo più parlare di black metal, ma di metal sperimentale.
Gli arrangiamenti di questo disco sono molto “progressive” e sono il costrutto di in un contesto musicale principalmente riflessivo, dove sono protagoniste le sole chitarre acustiche. Impossibile non pensare a realtà come Alcest, Agalloch, Katatonia, Negura Bunget. La loro anima folk si fonde con il lato più sinistro, black metal oriented. L’alternanza delle parti vocali è molto presente: la voce pulita, il growl, lo screaming.
Le chitarre non hanno una distorsione piena, ma tendono spesso a fondersi con le tastiere, creando un amalgama dove compare il lato grezzo, ma senza mai sconfinare nell’eccessiva violenza, dato che la loro musica mantiene sempre vivo il carattere atmosferico.
Si tratta quindi di uno stile unitario, che ci accompagna durante l’intero ascolto del disco e ci regala certamente delle emozioni. La loro musica è malinconica, intensa e mantiene sempre questo “mood”, anche nelle parti che apparentemente sembrano meno angoscianti.
Non è una musica facilmente assimilabile, ma è un disco che, sin da subito, evidenzia il talento di questi musicisti. “Epoch” è un lavoro fatto con serietà, competenza, raffinatezza. Forse non incontrerà i favori dei più estremisti, ma se cercate qualcosa di atmosferico, i Fen saranno capaci di regalarvi dei bei momenti.
Autore: {Mirror}

LEGACY MAGAZINE 71

FEN „Epoch“
(Code666/Aural/Soulfood)
Fast, nur fast könnte der Eindruck entstehen, die Engländer FEN wollten ihr
zweites Langspielalbum „Epoch“ heimlich, still und leise veröffentlichen, so
geheimnisvoll und karg klingt es mitunter. Effekthascherei ist nicht der Briten ihr
Ding, sie verlangen vom Hörer mehr als nur beiläufiges Interesse, haben hinter
der nebligen Klangdecke jedoch einiges zu bieten, was Entdeckungstouren ins
öde graue Marschland im Osten der Nordseeinsel, der Heimat des Quartetts,
rechtfertigt. Es ist eben doch mehr als nur ein wahlloses Herumschippern
zwischen den Ausläufern des Black Metal und des Post Rock, denn die
Unternehmung der aus Skaldic Curse hervorgegangenen Briten wurzelt tiefer,
als es ein oberflächlicher Höreindruck zunächst vermuten lässt, irgendwo dort
im Black Metal-Hinterland, wo bereits Fester sich in geheimnisvolle Schleier
hüllten und Vordven die Phantasie beflügelten. Ihre atmosphärisch dichten,
nie zum Rasanten neigenden Kompositionen ufern weit aus und zehren vom
Wechselspiel aus harschem Metal und träumerischen Passagen, wie sie heuer
vor allem von amerikanischen Bands im Stile Agallochs gepflegt werden. Die
Briten geben sich im Vergleich widerspenstiger, im Klangspektrum beschränkter
und dennoch unvorhersehbarer. Der Sänger verleiht seinem Pseudonym „The
Watcher“ eine gespenstische Nuance – seine scheinbar distanzierte Darbietung
klingt größtenteils blass und farblos, dann wiederum irritierend schön. Ähnliches
gilt für die Saitenfraktion: Farbtupfer werden dezent gesetzt, gefällig oder gar
aufdringlich kitschig tönt hier nichts. Nur melancholische Seelen werden sich
dieser bewussten Reise in weniger einladende Gefilde überhaupt aussetzen
und mit ihren Herausforderungen auseinander setzen wollen; für Menschen, die
nach dem schnellen Kick gieren, wird „Epoch“ in seiner konzeptionell gewollten
Tristesse kaum mehr als eine langweilige Enttäuschung sein. (TW)
11 Punkte

http://www.metalteamuk.net/jan11reviews/cdreviews-fen.htm

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]I was truly blown away by the debut album from these British pine scented black metallers, and having seen them give several dazzling performances I have to say thus far they are proving to be a consistently great outfit and are quite possibly the most exciting thing in Britain right now. Epoch was therefore one of the albums I had been looking forward to in 2011 and really was keen to hear the new material. While Malediction Fields was an excellent debut, it never struck me as being one they could never top; that’s the worst thing when a band brings out a good debut that exhausts their capabilities and every subsequent work is a big let down. It struck more as being a confident sounding album, albeit not particularly original, and the efforts of a band that had plenty of room for growth and development. Which brings me to Epoch.[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]What is clear on this album is that Fen have kind of grown into themselves. There are of course similarities in their music to Agalloch, Alcest and Wolves In The Throne Room, but they seem to have really managed to find their own footing on this album. What I really admire here is the fact that instead of going for the safe option of releasing another album that sounds just like the first, as they quite easily could have done, they have developed their sound and such evolvement is clear on Epoch. This is not an instant album that hits you straight away, but rather one that I’ve found to grow on me more with each listen. [/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]The overall tone of this album is much darker, especially when you hear tracks like ‘The Gibbet Elms’ which I find has a thoroughly spellbind intro that kind of draws you immediately into a dark, wooded landscape thick with trees. There synths here are quite understated adding a splash of light contrast to the music and a very subtle shoegaze dreaminess. ‘Of Wilderness and Ruin’ has an equally dark ambience and the keyboards add a real sense of melancholy. There’s plenty of harsh blackened ferocity driving this along, and when they go for it they are totally on it; drums clatter away and guitars have that truly menacing edge to them while The Watcher has a fearsome and incredibly impassioned rasp that just backs the music up perfectly and makes you really feel what this is all about. They come across particularly raw and callous on ‘Carrier Of Echoes’ which contrasts nicely against the tender, ethereal guitar lines and more so against the wistful clean vocals on the chorus which could indolently be compared to Neige. There’s a bit of complexity to this one as well with some progressive guitar lines and quirky time changes, even a warm Spanish piece peaking through the shimmering ambience at one point, while there’s a constant intensity and fiery passion that really deserves your full attention. [/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]‘Half-Light Eternal’ really sets a mellower tone putting the harsh blackness aside in favour of a more moody and ethereal piece that owes much more to Slowdive and My Bloody Valentine at least until things are suddenly usurped by a fierce gust of wind that sweeps up from below. Naturally there’s an air of sophistication surrounding these eight tracks and this really comes across through every note. There’s even a lounge-jazz suaveness in places. Musically this is both mesmerising and intense, harsh yet beautiful and while bands like Winterfylleth and Wodensthrone are certainly in the same league, this puts Fen way above them in the tables. This surpasses my expectations and I hope it sees Fen get the recognition they deserve. Still, I have a feeling there’s better to come from them yet.[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

http://www.metal.it/album.aspx/13851/

8/10

I sostenitori della musica d'atmosfera, come chi vi scrive, non possono assolutamente lasciarsi sfuggire questo gruppo e soprattutto questo album.

I Fen sono una band inglese molto affascinante ed ipnotica, che propone paesaggi sonori intrisi di malinconia e desolazione.
Stilisticamente, è quasi meccanico l'accostamento con i veterani del metal d'atmosfera, gli Agalloch, anche se probabilmente differiscono da questi ultimi per le modalità con cui le ovattate sonorità vengono adoperate. Se negli Agalloch, infatti, tutto è studiato al fine di descrivere scenari onirici ed impalpabili, nei Fen il risultato è più straziato e sofferente.

Molto marcato è, infatti, l'approccio tipicamente black metal, con sfuriate musicali e vocali che accentuano un senso di inquietudine ed una certa tensione emotiva, come nel secondo pezzo, "Ghosts of the Flood", in cui i colpi di batteria sono molto serrati e decisi. Tuttavìa, il graffio della voce e l'asprezza globale dei pezzi, vengono spesso addolciti da passaggi melodici ed arpeggiati, che sospendono momentaneamente la foga sonora per lasciar spazio ad una fallace quiete riflessiva e trasognante.

La band si dimostra molto abile nel miscelare queste due gradazioni cromatiche, adoperando sia toni cupi che toni più chiaroscurali, seppur non azzardando mai troppo nell'uso di riff che possano anche solo erroneamente sollevare l'ascoltatore dallo stato di turbamento ed ipnosi.

Interessanti soprattutto i frammezzi post rock, come nell'incipit di "The Gibbet Elms", che danno un tocco di contaminazione ulteriore, particolarizzando il sound già di per sè ricercato della band. E so che l'accostamento a tale genere solitamente fa rabbrividire i metallari più incalliti e cattivi, ma credetemi che non c'è davvero nulla da denigrare in una tipologia musicale come il post rock, che al contrario ha davvero tanto da offrire.

Le sensazioni che si provano ascoltando i Fen sono una commistione di fascino e gravità, quest'ultima generata proprio dalla pesantezza con cui il ritmo viene scandito e che per certi versi incarna quella stessa pesantezza che si prova nel respirare aria gravida di acqua.
Curioso come il tutto rispecchi alla perfezione la morbida fascinazione che trasmettono le lande dove sono cresciuti gli esponenti della band, gli umidi e pallidi fens inglesi, appunto.

Davvero un gran bel lavoro.
Un album da ascoltare ed amare.

SPARK MAGAZINE - february 2011 (printed czech rep)

FEN
Epoch
AURAL – 71:00
atmospheric black metal
Americká válka za nezávislost sice zuřila v letech
1775–1783, při pohledu na některá zahraniční
média se ovšem zdá, jako by se boj mezi Velkou
Británií a její bývalou kolonií opět rozhořel naplno.
Mezi hudebními recenzenty i fanoušky teď
totiž propukla sice nenápadná, zato ovšem velice
úporná bitva. Která kapela je lepší? Američtí
AGALLOCH, pojmenovaní po aromatickém dře-vu orličníku, anebo britští FEN, čerpající inspiraci
z bažinaté oblasti britského Cambridgeshire?
Jak tento spor dopadnul v rámci redakce Sparku,
ukáže teprve výsledek společného bodování.
Za sebe však mohu říci, že fenlandské bažiny jsou
v podání FEN skutečně překvapivě lákavým místem
k navštívení. A jak by také ne, když jednotlivé
písně dosahují délky jedenácti až osmnácti
minut, a kapela má tedy opravdu dostatek času
i prostoru, aby na ploše každé z nich vytvořila
tu správnou atmosféru. Záleží jen na vás, jestli
budete mít odvahu se brodit záplavou snových
útržkovitých melodií a příjemně probublávající
baskytary, které však tu a tam místo lehce zrezivělého
kytarového tónu prořízne ostrý blackmetalový
riff. To jen abyste měli na paměti, že bažiny
mohou být velice zrádné. Stačí jediný neopatrný
krok, a navždy se v nich ztratíte – což ovšem
na druhou stranu v případě „Epoch“ není zase až
tak špatný osud...
Jana Vrbková
rate: 5/6

http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/fen--review.aspx?id=235779

5/5

To say that I like black metal even the slightest would be a bit of an over statement. Up until “Epoch” I had only found one black metal album that I generally liked and that was “Hvis Lyset Tar Oss” by Burzum. Taking that into account, before I even listened to Fen’s newest album I had listened to the hype and expected great things. And I pretty much got what I wanted. With great atmospheric passages and heavy riffs replacing each other seamlessly “Epoch” almost immediately caught my attention and kept it there every time I listened. Needless to say Fen has created an amazing album that is almost a lock to take “Album of the Year 2011”.

One thing that really made me like this album was the musicians on the album. They catch your attention right off the bat with a great atmospheric opening to the album in the title track “Epoch”. The synths, played by Æðelwalh, are absolutely superb throughout the title track and the whole album. One thing that Fen does exceptionally is transfer from light airy melodies to killer heavier riffs that are so good. This difference between dark and mysterious and light and innocent sounding tracks makes for a very enjoyable experience. One of the best things to do when listening to this album is sit down in a quiet place and immerse yourself in the music and just soak it in and absorb the full potential of the album. The little things are really what make this album very special. The little bass and guitar counter melodies really make the synths pop out and leads to a much more enjoyable sound than most of the recent black metal that I have listened to. Another song I would like to point out is perhaps my favorite track on the album, “The Gibbet Elms”. First off it is an epic, averaging out at 11 minutes, and the music on it is awesome to be simply put. The drums really carry this song and this track is one of the first songs where you can really tell the presence of the drummer, Theutus. Also this song is has great peaks and valleys that make the song have lots of movement. But the reason why I like this song the most is because of the clean vocals.

The reason why I am usually turned off by black metal is because I despise the vocals. The normal black metal screams are few and far between on this album, and instead are replaced by death metal growls, chants, and yes, clean vocals. As I mentioned before “The Gibbet Elms” has great vocals, and this is because it features the cleanest vocals of any song on the album. Towards the end and in the beginning The Watcher shows off his real voice and it is a thing of beauty. His lower sound blends on perfectly with the synths and guitars to make for a great sound that would be pleasing to all ears. Another song that has good vocals on it is “Of Wilderness and Ruin” because is changes it up a bit. Besides the normal growls and screams there are some chants thrown in there that really change up the feel of the album, and increase its worth. And this review wouldn’t be complete without this writer saying something about the black metal screams. I have already stated before that I take no liking in them at all, but for this album I have made an acceptation. While they don’t enhance the album in my eyes they don’t detract from it at all, and that is good enough for me.

The production on this album is fantastic, mixing the highs and lows perfectly while still leaving room for the middle songs such as the bass and such. The sound on this album is almost reminiscent of early prog recordings but with a metal spin to them.

There’s not much more to say about this album other than, if you don’t already have it you should get it. Fen has made a great album that anyone could, and hopefully will enjoy. It’s amazing that we’re only in the third month of the year and I am almost positive that this album will stay in my top two of 2011. An easy 5 star rating is warranted here.

http://metal.pl/temprecenzja.php?id=218

W moim wieku człowiek zaczyna powoli dążyć do stabilizacji i perfekcji. Opinie są już ukształtowane, gust i poczucie estetyki również, wszystko zaczyna nabierać stałości i coraz trudniej jest rzucić się na nieznaną wodę. Tak samo jest ze mną – chyba przyszedł czas na złapanie całkowitej równowagi, szczególnie, jeśli chodzi o muzykę. Wiem od dawna, co mi się niesamowicie podoba i w tym kierunku zamierzam podążać… A nowym wektorem będzie tutaj album „Epoch” kapeli Fen.

Panowie z tego brytyjskiego zespołu stworzyli coś, czego nie powstydziłyby się takie składy jak Agalloch, Drudkh czy The Morningside. „Epoch” to uderzenie mocy połączone z akustycznymi wstawkami, to brutalność połączona z delikatnością, to pasja połączona z tłumieniem emocji. Tytułowy utwór jest wstępem ukazującym naszej wyobraźni podmokłe łąki, puste wrzosowiska i mgliste bagna, których zapach i chłód przeszywający na wskroś pozwalają poczuć dreszcz lekkiego podniecenia. Fantastycznie wykreowana atmosfera w kolejnych kawałkach takich jak chociażby „The Gibbet Elms” czy „Half-light Eternal” pochłania mnie całkowicie – opuszczam w tym momencie swój pokój i udaję się na spacer wśród starych, połamanych drzew, brodząc po kostki w błocie, chcę wejść w ten las jak najgłębiej, żeby nikt nie mógł mnie odnaleźć. Gitary, które z black metalowego brzmienia gładko przechodzą w lekko post-rockowe klimaty, niesamowicie trafiają w moje upodobania i sprawiają, że ten album wciąga mnie z każdym kolejnym dźwiękiem. Fenomenalne przejścia z ciężkiego, skrzeczącego wokalu do czystego śpiewu dają mi jeszcze jeden powód, przez który uznaję „Epoch” za wydawnictwo nomen omen epokowe. Jest zaskakująco, jest ciekawie, jest profesjonalnie, jest bardzo klimatycznie. Nic więcej do szczęścia nie potrzebuję. Zastanawiałam się tylko, jak długo można wytrzymać w takim nastroju i kiedy zacznie mi się to nudzić? Okazuje się, że bardzo długo – „Epoch” to ponad godzina muzyki podzielona na osiem utworów, której poświęcam moje skupienie i wyobraźnię, nie czując się zmęczona ani znużona.

W pewnym wieku człowiek uświadamia sobie, jak niewiele rzeczy może ustabilizować w swoim życiu. Jednak na szczęście w moim przypadku gust muzyczny zaczyna powoli łapać równowagę, a poczucie estetyki stoi na wysokim poziomie. Dlatego też „Epoch” oceniam jako bardzo dobry album, pełen ekspresji uczuć oraz emocji, które tak ciężko czasem jest okiełznać. Wydawnictwo to jest perfekcyjne, jeśli chodzi o kreowanie zagadkowej atmosfery pełnej wilgotnych mchów i angielskiej mgły. Panowie z Fen wykonali bardzo dobrą pracę i jestem pewna, że ten album spodoba się nawet bardzo wymagającym słuchaczom.