Few questions on Symphony X

Asgath

Standing Without Fear
Jul 20, 2004
Arda
First off, Thomas Miller, what bass/pickups did he use? Specifically for the Divine Wing of Tragedy

Secondly: I looking to try and get that Symphony X bass sound, I'm thinking about getting Seymor Duncan P bass pick ups put into my Westone Thunder 1a bass, hoping to get that very low sound. (Of course, I dont want to be copying S-X completely)

And thirdly: If anyones familiar with Behringer V-AMPS, do they know of any setup that gives that S-X style sound?

And a slightly off topic question...Anyone know any good cheap cabs? (About 300 watts is all I need)
I seen a certain behringer one, I'll find a link later, and post it on...

Asgath said:
And a slightly off topic question...Anyone know any good cheap cabs? (About 300 watts is all I need)
I seen a certain behringer one, I'll find a link later, and post it on...

I bought that cab for my MArshall... mainly to make my amp a 6x12. i rarely have the cab plugged in.. but anyway! iut's pretty fucking good for the money man.

I unfortunately have no answers to your questions, but it's nice to see more and more bassists influenced by Symphony X joining the board.

Why don't you make your own cabinet? It can be done very cheaply (especially with eBay as a resource) in comparison to what is on the market. For instance, I picked up a pair of Celestion speakers on eBay for under $50, stuffed 'em in my 2x12, and then built another frame for a 2x12 cabinet with my old speakers - instant stereo combo for about $60.

ABQShredHead said:
Why don't you make your own cabinet? It can be done very cheaply (especially with eBay as a resource) in comparison to what is on the market. For instance, I picked up a pair of Celestion speakers on eBay for under $50, stuffed 'em in my 2x12, and then built another frame for a 2x12 cabinet with my old speakers - instant stereo combo for about $60.

Because I'm 14, and suck with electronics. On the other hand my parental unit beta (Dad) could help me surely. I'll look into this, thanks.
Know of any guides?

Hey, no better time to learn than 14. Electronics is nothing difficult - please don't be afraid. In this instance, you only have to figure out impedance matching through serial (impedances add - two 16-ohm speakers in series present a 32-ohm impedance to the PA) or parallel (more difficult, but easy if speakers are the same impedance - two 16-ohm speakers in parallel present an 8-ohm impedance to the PA, but a 16-ohm in parallel with an 8-ohm present a 5.33-ohm impedance) speaker combinations. Figure out impedance and then ensure you have enough power-handling capabilities and you're all set. Then cabinet design can lead you into resonance and the like, if you want to get into it that far, but the easiest thing to do would be to copy the cabinet dimensions of your favorite cabinet.

There are several online guides you can find through a Google search on "impedance matching" or "speaker cabinet design". One such decent, simple overview is at http://wolfstone.halloweenhost.com/TechBase/spkimp_SpeakerImpedanceMatching.html#Series.

Asgath, look into Bartolini pickups. They have a real nice, warm sound. However, I don't believe they have any dealers, so you'd have to order them from Bartolini. V-amps are okay. Your best bet is to NOT rely on a multi-effects processor for your main sound. It's just too unreliable, because what if you don't have your v-amp with you or don't have the powercord? You don't have your sound. My suggestion would be just to find an amp that give you the sound you want, instead of buying a bunch of effects and stuff that you don't need. Don't settle for anything less than you really want.
You might want to get:
1) new pickups if the old ones don't sound that great (Bartolinis, Seymor Duncan basslines, try out basses with different pickups in them)
2) nice-sounding cab (the Hartke stuff is surprisingly warm-sounding, Ampeg classic cabs sound a little darker, Eden cabs are awesome)
3) nice, warm, punchy-sounding amp or preamp & poweramp (SWR's sound trebley, Ampegs can be chunky but versatile, Hartke amps are a little "bland" or round-sounding for lack of a better word, Sansamps are pretty awesome and REALLY versatile, Edens are real warm, Mesa Boogies can be real punchy, etc.)
4) second mortgage on the house to pay for all of it

MajorRager said:
4) second mortgage on the house to pay for all of it

Hehe, yeah I'd need too with stuff of that quality and price, Ampeg are damn expensive, but I really like their sound...

Thanks for all the info, I'll look into some of that stuff.
On the note about the V-AMP, its the V-AMP preamp, not the Effects pedal

I use the Berhinger V-Amp for guitar, and I love it!!! I'm sure the bass model is very good as well. As far as effects are concerned, it's up to the person setting the sound to determine wether they want it dry or wet. If you don't want effects, than you don't have to program the channel you choose with effects. It's very simple. Plus, you can simulate cabs and amps with the Berhinger, which makes a world of difference compared to just using a simple amp.

www.shadowimage.net

I love my tone... lol... I think it's a cross between Cliff Burton and Thomas Miller's tone. Just right... I go through a Sansamp RBI preamp through a QSC1450 poweramp through an Ampeg SVT Classic 8x10