Few specific questions about reamping

nervirasme

Dismember
Nov 13, 2010
Cologne, Germany
www.behance.net
Hey guys, I still have some doubts over certain steps in reamping procedure. I'll post the questions in order, but first if at any time you need the list of actual equipment that I plan to use then this is the list:
- Audio interface: Saffire Pro 40
- DI box - built-in Hi-Z instrument input on Saffire Pro 40
- Reamp box - not yet determined (this is going to be one of the questions)
- Overdrive pedal - Maxon OD820
- Amp - 6505+ 112 Combo (I don't intend to mic the cab, instead I plan to use only the preamp signal with impulses later on)

Since the 6505+ head on this combo doesn't have "Preamp Out" I will have to use FX send, and the questions are:

1. Is the FX Send the line level or instrument level signal? To which input on my audio interface should I chain it (line level or instrument level)?
2. If I take the signal out of FX Send and don't plug anything back to FX Return, does this mean that no sound will get back to power section of the amp?
3. If the answer to my previous question is positive - does this make the connected cab silent? (and effectively cancels the need for dummy load for silent reamping)
4. Now a potential taboo - I read on few posts (mostly from mr. TheWinterSnow) that you can totally bypass the reamp box and plug the line out of the interface straight into the amp's input (supposedly you'll have to match the levels)... I also heard few samples where people have actually done and got the same results as with reamp boxes... Is this possbile in my case?!
5. I'll also be using Maxon's OD820, and I also read somewhere that an OD pedal can also be used as reamp box... can it? (don't know anything about levels here...)

If anyone finds a time to answer these, even partially, I'll be really thankful!
:worship:

Cheers

EDIT: Here's the detailed chain for tracking and reamping:
Tracking: Guitar --> Saffire Pro 40 Interface (Hi-Z Instrument input) --> DAW
Reampin: DAW --> Saffire Pro 40 Interface (Line out) --> (?!Reamp box question!?) --> Maxon OD820 --> Amp's input --> FX Send --> Saffire Pro 40 Interface (Line in or instrument in???) --> DAW

1. The FX send is around line level as it needs to be, but I would recommend using the instrument in. FX pedals have line level outputs which won't be effected by high impedance inputs, therefor the tube buffering circuits in a tube amp's FX loop stage are designed to make it look like the amp is another fx pedal.
2. Nothing plugged into the return still does have some sound, as you cannot get rid of it completely.
3. Your cab won't be silent, and if you want it to be, you will need a dummy load.
4. You don't need any impedance matching for an output that has a very small impedance into a stage with a very high impedance. Although with reamping you need something to isolate DC, or you will be dealing with ground loop noise.
5. Just like in question 4, the OD will be a high impedance in and a low impedance out, and since the amp has a very high impedance, both the line out of your interface and the OD won't have any loading issues.

1. The FX send is around line level as it needs to be, but I would recommend using the instrument in. FX pedals have line level outputs which won't be effected by high impedance inputs, therefor the tube buffering circuits in a tube amp's FX loop stage are designed to make it look like the amp is another fx pedal.
2. Nothing plugged into the return still does have some sound, as you cannot get rid of it completely.
3. Your cab won't be silent, and if you want it to be, you will need a dummy load.
4. You don't need any impedance matching for an output that has a very small impedance into a stage with a very high impedance. Although with reamping you need something to isolate DC, or you will be dealing with ground loop noise.
5. Just like in question 4, the OD will be a high impedance in and a low impedance out, and since the amp has a very high impedance, both the line out of your interface and the OD won't have any loading issues.

Thanks so much for this, I really appreciate it. Just to make sure though - (I edited this few minutes ago) if I plug the cable out of my interface's line out directly to OD pedal without reamp box, it won't affect the sound?... And what do you recommend for that ground loop cancelation/in which part of the chain do I put the device?

Thanks again!

Put a jack with no signal (best without a cable if you have one) in return of combo. It won't silent the amp 100% but it will play with bedroom level sound (mostly highs). You can use that for monitoring or just put the combo it in the closet. I have a 5150 212 combo and this method works for me.

Put a jack with no signal (best without a cable if you have one) in return of combo. It won't silent the amp 100% but it will play with bedroom level sound (mostly highs). You can use that for monitoring or just put the combo it in the closet. I have a 5150 212 combo and this method works for me.

Thanks for the tip, will try it as soon as I get all of my equipment.

Thanks so much for this, I really appreciate it. Just to make sure though - (I edited this few minutes ago) if I plug the cable out of my interface's line out directly to OD pedal without reamp box, it won't affect the sound?... And what do you recommend for that ground loop cancelation/in which part of the chain do I put the device?

Thanks again!

That is what reamp boxes do as well, which is why it would be a wise investment to get one. You could wire up that part of a reamp box into a hobby box of some sort for cheap. Basically you need something to lift the ground between your amp and your interface.