Fighting with some tracks...

Heabow

More cowbell!
Aug 24, 2011
France
Hey!

Working a new mix and I'm actually fighting with some tracks that sound a bit weird. The playing could have been better too. This is a very first picture after several reamp attempts. I wanted to try quite unusual stuff to work on the bottom end. Also I find the mids pretty difficult to balance here. Please let me know how it sounds to you. Thanks!

EDIT - file updated

Attachments

• BashThis!.mp3
    2.5 MB · Views: 24
Last edited:
sounds raw and dirty. I like it :)
Feels like there´s a bit of bass missing, but that could very well be due to the low(ish) levels of guitar and bass.

Mids are fine. How´s it with vocals blasting?

Thank you dude for the feedback, I appreciate :) The guitars are quite thin indeed, I tried to add some beef which is not easy for me as I get boomy shit all the time instead of adding depth with a nice 3D feel.

Attachments

• BASHTHIS2.mp3
    2.5 MB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Reactions: Nikolas Quemtri
i prefer that one. Kick sounds less overbearing compared to the rest.
guitar + bass gives a nice, meaty combination. Do you mind sharing your secrets? :p

Glad you like it! As for my "secrets"... well, I don't ave any ahah! I'm actually surprised you ask for it to be honest :) I started by drums and guitars then add the bass to fit the holes in that makes sense. The guitar DI tracks sounded weird and as I said, the overheads were quite harsh with tons of the kit bleeding. So highpass at around 400hz and lowpass, I added some air and sizzle with saturation. Slight compression and limiter.

Same rig for both guitar tracks (5150 III with same settings / Mesa cab different speakers / sm57 different positions). On each track, I used PT eq for cleaning (around 200hz, 700-800hz and some slight cuts in the 2-3khz), then SSL E channel to boost around 400hz and 8khz and JST limiter. Guitar bus has stereo imager, Air EQ with very little ajustements, Kramer PIE, VTM and limiter. Bass is one clean amp track and one disto track using B7K. Kramer PIE + SSL comp for compression.

Must have been quite tired when I listened to the first version last time cause I found it harsh sounding and it doesn't bother me this time...
Anyway I prefered the second version too, bass and guitars seemed more massive and the kick which was a little too upfront in the first one seems to fit more in this version.
The only little complain I would have is about the palm mutes at 0:24-0:27that sound just a tad too bommy, but that really a detail!

that´s a lot of stuff for some guitar tracks. I usually got one EQ, maybe a tad of compression for palmmutes, and maybe some tape. But I can see how that approach gave you the meaty guitar and bass sound

Thanks for listening gentlemen. It's great to have feedback from fresh ears :)

@Korwent : I will looking for these details later during the actual mix but yeah, there are many synths stuff and additionnal guitars so the rhythm gtrs will problaby need more drastic C4 settings on some parts.

@MrBongo : That's right, more processing than some guys might use but there is no huge moves here, just slight curves except for tape and compression which are pretty hot as I love the distortion they're adding. I will maybe even turn them up a bit later depending on the context.

Hi,
These are my thoughts on the first version regarding what could be improved in the mix:
Too much hi-mids on on the guitars. That makes them noisy and is gonna definitely be an obstacle for the vocals (if any).
I agree that it lacks some of bass' body frequencies to feel it better in the mix.

The second version sounds better, but the bass is a biy muddy this time. Perhaps it happens due to interaction with the guitar lows as well.

I'd also recommend you avoid using a stereo imager on the rhythm guitars at this point, 'cause it makes them less localizable and definite.

Thanks for listening Nikolas! The mud has been fixed since last time. The stereo imager is very, very subtle here. It adds just a slight touch of width without any inconvenience.

Reactions: Nikolas Quemtri