finally got my 5150 II!

DevilJaw

Studio Junkie
Sep 5, 2007
Arizona, USA
so came upon a surprise today, browsing my local music shop, i find a very nice 5150 II, i didn't think about i just bought the sucker, being my most sought after amp ever, my first tube amp, i'm just really excited to actually have one.

it was in very good condition, seems almost new, but i have a few questions now, where would be the best place to find information about my amp, as far as maintenance and general information to get the best out of it.

the amp came with Sovtek 6L6WXT+ tubes, are these any good, i have no idea how long they have been used or what, they are all matched and seem ok, i've played them for a couple of hours nothing out of the ordinary. so should i just keep them or should i replace them, if i replace them, what would be a good set to go with?

thanks

Congrats Dude! Check out the settings in the pdf in this thread here:

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/andy-sneap/356748-cool-suecof-interview-lots-amp-details.html

I had Sovteks in my Rev and swapped them for JJ's. It made a nice difference, but for a 5150 I am not sure how much of a difference swapping Power-tubes makes.

Just play with it for a while, regardless of what tubes are in it I am sure you will be satisfied given it's your first tube amp, and what a nice first tube amp. :headbang:

yeah i can't complain much, as its my first tube. now time to record some killer riffs, being my first tube amp, i am just surprised how easy it is to get a nice tone and its been just a pleasure to record.

but i do have a problem with it, maybe someone can help me out, i can't seem to get the preamp out/fx send to work with impulses. i get this very high ringing sound coming out of it, i get some signal, but its overpowered by this loud high pitched ringing sound.

is there any special about this amp for recording using impulses or do i just have a screwed up output, i mean both the dedicated line out and the fx send are not working as it should. i've used the fx send out before flawlessly on other amps, but this one seems odd, am i missing something.

it might help that the louder ringing is coming from the fx send, but the line out is more usable, but both are unusable.

i know its not my cables or preamp, tried the same hookup using several other amps, no problem.