must I bias my 5150?

I should go into a little more detail. Using the wrong fuse is like pulling a random pill out of the shelf when your kid has a runny nose. Could work, more likely could result in many bad things. Fuses have specific areas where they're expected to function, and anywhere else they just won't fit.

Another trick is to wrap the fuse in aluminum foil. This will essentially make it the equivalent of a brick on the gas pedal - if it's going, you're going to fucking know quickly. Normally the fuse conducts electricity just fine and only stops when it gets spiked; we're 'simulating' a working fuse by wrapping a deader in foil.

So, now that we have a sort-of-fuse-but-not-really, we can turn the amp on and see what's going on. Now, because there's the possibility of things needing serious work, we don't want to do this very long - a few seconds at most, stopping immediately if something sounds or smells (yes, very important!) funny. Hook up a cab and a guitar, and flip the first switch. If you hear or smell anything funny (yes, get your face in the fucking vents, if you smell something burnt or anything of the sort you need to crank the fucker off immediately and find a tech) stop immediately; if a minute passes by flip the standby switch and see if you get any response from playing. If you don't want to take this amp to a shop, this is really all you can do - it could even be what the shop does, for all we know. There's a risk of making things worse, but that's your call.

Jeff
thanks a lot! Like I said, I really dont know a lot about the technical workings of amps yet. slowly learning, and this forum is fuckin sweet!

so, I wont mess with the amp.....I'd feel safer just taking it to a tech. I dont want to lose this amp!

I should go into a little more detail. Using the wrong fuse is like pulling a random pill out of the shelf when your kid has a runny nose. Could work, more likely could result in many bad things. Fuses have specific areas where they're expected to function, and anywhere else they just won't fit.

Another trick is to wrap the fuse in aluminum foil. This will essentially make it the equivalent of a brick on the gas pedal - if it's going, you're going to fucking know quickly. Normally the fuse conducts electricity just fine and only stops when it gets spiked; we're 'simulating' a working fuse by wrapping a deader in foil.

So, now that we have a sort-of-fuse-but-not-really, we can turn the amp on and see what's going on. Now, because there's the possibility of things needing serious work, we don't want to do this very long - a few seconds at most, stopping immediately if something sounds or smells (yes, very important!) funny. Hook up a cab and a guitar, and flip the first switch. If you hear or smell anything funny (yes, get your face in the fucking vents, if you smell something burnt or anything of the sort you need to crank the fucker off immediately and find a tech) stop immediately; if a minute passes by flip the standby switch and see if you get any response from playing. If you don't want to take this amp to a shop, this is really all you can do - it could even be what the shop does, for all we know. There's a risk of making things worse, but that's your call.

Jeff

Or better yet... remove all the fuses (remembering where they go back) and take them down to your local Radio Shack and they can test the fuses for you. If any are blown, replace them and see if your amp works. No risk of further damage! (The tin foil fuse idea just seems like a really bad idea to me...)

Radio Shack isn't going to have all of these. I've looked...

Jeff

yeah man, i was bummed when i went to Radio Shack for an AC adapter for my POD....and they didnt fucking have one....WTF?!?! You are radio shack!!!

my drummers dad works at Radio Shack so maybe I'll see if he can hook me up.