Switching Preamp tubes on 5150

Here there's a pic about preamp tubes on my 5150 looking it from behind
On Peavey site they tell you that the amp is loaded with 12AX7, but I found these Sovtek 12AX7LPS in the first 2 positions from left (the rest is EH 12AX7), I don't know if they're gainy like 12AX7WA or what.
If I switch them to the last two positions, I get a less fuzzy tone but I loose a little of bottom end, my amp this way has even less hum, and that's really good.
What kind of tubes would you put in your 5150 to get a less gainy tone but with more bottom end?
I've heard 12AX7 would be a good choice!
Is there any tube freak here :D ???? someone who knows tube well?

Maurizio

LPS are special hi-gain 12ax7. If you're looking for something different, give a try to Ei Elite Gold 12ax7's. First slot (v1) is always the most significant sounding tube.

Talk to Bob at Eurotubes for your 5150 needs. He's all about the JJ's, obviously, but I've heard nothing but good things about his 5150 tube substitution kits.

http://www.eurotubes.com/euro-k.htm

I'm actually not a huge fan of JJ tubes, though the seem to work really well for other people, especially with Bob's guidance.

Personally, I like an Ei Elite in v1 like Burny said, then EH's everywhere else. If I'm going to gig a lot, I'll just use EH's across the board since they're more rugged.

For power tubes, I love the Winged "C" Svetlanas for EL34 and 6L6.

I mostly have experience with Marshalls, Fenders, and Boogies (oh my!), so YYMV with a 5150. Again, talk to Bob.

Sort of expanding on the topic here, does anyone know what each tube stage in the 5150 does, specifically? I remember seeing a graphic somewhere comparing the tube stages in the 5150 to those in the 5150 II, but now that I actually have one and care, of course I can't find it again. :p

DSS3 said:
The 5150II's lead channel has less low end and is more voiced for high-mid/high endy sounds to my ears.

That may be true, but I can get PLENTY of low on my 6505+ (5150 II), I have never had to crank the lows. Has plenty of gain too. My guitars either have EMG 85 or Duncan JB in the bridge.

Kazrog said:
That may be true, but I can get PLENTY of low on my 6505+ (5150 II), I have never had to crank the lows. Has plenty of gain too. My guitars either have EMG 85 or Duncan JB in the bridge.

Oh most definitely man, I didn't mean to imply a shortage of low end, nor gain. Both of the amps are just thunder n' lightning ballsy! I still will probably pick up a 5150 just for that tone, even though I have an XXX already.

I've done extensive tube tests in my 5150 (NOS and new production), and come to what I consider the best combination for the amp. I use Chinese 9th generation (C9) 12AX7's in the phase invertor slot, and in V1. These would be the slot on the far left, and the slot on the far right. All the slots in between get Electro Harmonix 12AX7's. You can get all of those at a pretty good price at www.dougstubes.com . The tone is smooth, but with plenty bite. Its just perfect IMO. Oh I also run JJ's 6L6GC's in the power amp...those are far better than anything else out there right now.

-Joe

OverDriven said:
I've done extensive tube tests in my 5150 (NOS and new production), and come to what I consider the best combination for the amp. I use Chinese 9th generation (C9) 12AX7's in the phase invertor slot, and in V1. These would be the slot on the far left, and the slot on the far right. All the slots in between get Electro Harmonix 12AX7's. You can get all of those at a pretty good price at www.dougstubes.com . The tone is smooth, but with plenty bite. Its just perfect IMO. Oh I also run JJ's 6L6GC's in the power amp...those are far better than anything else out there right now.

-Joe
Can you explain how/why Chinese and Electro Harmonix 12AX7s would differ? Isn't a 12AX7 a 12AX7?