Finally got my string gauges right........

John_C

formerly Skeksis268
Dec 30, 2008
Coventry, UK
www.myspace.com
I did some maths and came up with these gauges for D'addario XLs in C# standard on a 25.5" scale length

11 14 18 28 38 52

it's a heavy bottom setup, about 15lbs on the bottom 3 and 13lbs on the top 3

it feels perfect to me, and the best bit is the EXL115s come in 3 packs really cheaply and all you have to do is get an extra 52 for the bottom

I'll work out some sets for other people if they post here saying what they want

I wouldn't call 15 lbs. "heavy," but if it works for you that's what counts! Personally, I like 'em all even-tensioned though...

Sounds pretty right since I have mine slighly heavier on each string but I tune down half a semi tone lower than you so...spot on! :D

d'addario should bring em out like this, now the tensions are very uneven, i wonder why ?

intriguing C flat sharp, although didnt pantera do something similar, i seem to remember reading that they used to downtune an extra quartertone in a cd booklet or something

All my gtrs are in C standard and after much experimentation i am happy with: Universe 52-9, Warlock (trem) 54 - 11 and LTD GL Flame Boy Baritone 52 - 10

intriguing C flat sharp, although didnt pantera do something similar, i seem to remember reading that they used to downtune an extra quartertone in a cd booklet or something

Yep Pantera started doing that on VDoP I think, some songs were between Eb and E, some between C# and D and some between drop C# and drop D. I think there was some shit on TGSTK that was tuned lower or to some open tunings as well.

Yep Pantera started doing that on VDoP I think, some songs were between Eb and E, some between C# and D and some between drop C# and drop D. I think there was some shit on TGSTK that was tuned lower or to some open tunings as well.

They started before that. CFH was E1/4b . My guitar is in this now, but only because I'm too lazy to take the nut off and tune the thing.

Where do you EU guys get your strings online? It's so expensive buying custom sets in music stores

For my Schecter Hellraiser C1-FR in standard C# i use Ernie Balls Medium Light 12-54 :

12-16-24-32-44-54

Ooh man, I can't stand a 24w in C-standard, and I'd imagine it'd be even worse in C#! Also the 44 is pretty disproportionately tight; for C-standard my favorite is 12-16-22w-32-42-54 (I buy this set as well as an individual .22w)