Finally got the new Opeth...

Jim LotFP

The Keeper of Metal
Jun 7, 2001
Helsinki, Finland
www.lotfp.com
... Had not heard a NOTE until today...

... and had to be damned obnoxious to more than a few people to make sure I hadn't...

But I have it now.

Listened to it once on headphones...

... let any relevant discussions begin. :)

Should sound better alongside Damnation more than just alone. It is good, but has a songwriting-rushed way through it. Too much Bloodbath-derived Morbid Angel tribute on the heavy parts. However, it's definitely not just a full-length Steel album, which would be screetching nails on blackboard obnoxious

Originally posted by OceanMech
Should sound better alongside Damnation more than just alone. It is good, but has a songwriting-rushed way through it.
What do we learn from that? Do your homework before entering the studio and maybe even more important; choose a studio from which you know that it's reliable. In other words: Don't take any risks.

But the strange thing is that I almost can't believe what I read in the studio diary. Especially that Mikael did all the growl-parts within about 6-7 hours...it's sounds perfect to me. The same goes for the guitar parts (just listen to the ending of "Deliverance" ...they're played perfectly).

It feels like it's slowly becoming my favourite Opeth album, but I wonder if it could've even been better, if all the songs had been finished prior to the recordings and without all the problems in the Nacksving studio.