fingerstyle question / poll

Do you use 4 or 5 fingers to play fingerstyle guitar?

• Total voters
palm on the bridge is pretty retarded, don ross does it but he has a thumb pick. i dont use a thumb pick

I don't think the thumb is so much a problem with resting on the bridge as the rest of the fingers. The ring/pinky fingers in particular feel really cramped and restricted for me if I try resting on the bridge.

Well I'm classically trained but I played with a fucked-up technique in my right hand for years which I'm now trying to iron out. In every piece of classical guitar music I've seen with p, i, m and a notated there has never been a mention of the pinky finger.

Kind of hard to get a good tone out of though, and like the guy above said, if you hold your hand 'properly' you shouldn't be able to reach the string with your pinky.

i can get a good tone, maybe because i have nails? what is the proper way? my hand is about at a 45 degree angle with the strings and bridge section. i like this angle because its comfortable and my thumb has more room moving around the lowest 2 strings

I have nails too, but the power is supposed to come from the joints in your fingers (as opposed to your wrists etc) and obviously the joints in your pinky will be weaker than the joints in other fingers.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1WgoSfV_Kg&feature=related[/ame]

Just watch the way John Williams keeps his hand steady even when changing how far he is from the bridge.

(I know it's maybe not the best choice for demonstrating technique, but hey, I love the piece and I'm learning it so whatever.)

Re: the question of tone...
People generally don't use their pinkies for all that much. To that end you'll most often find you have very little strength and co-ordination in it so your playing suffers accordingly (flat/dead notes, minimal sustain to each note, low volume). The same applies to electric techniques like tapping, sweeping etc, the difference being in rock/metal people tend to be willing to put more effort into their electric playing and overcoming anything that feels impractical at first on an electric guitar than with an acoustic. It's not because the pinky is 'crap' or inherently gives your playing 'bad tone' etc...

Practice conquers all.