How do I barre that chord in The Drapery Falls intro?

bball_1523

Nov 23, 2003
Southern California
Visit site
I'm having lots of trouble trying to play the intro sequence in the drapery falls.

Code:
1:-8---
2:-8---
3:-8---
4:-12--
5:-10--
6:-8--

that's the first chord. I seriously can't barre that chord. My fingers are really small and the strings either get muted and/or buzz when I'm trying to play the pattern. I really want to play this correctly because it's the only part of the song that is really hard to play for me other than the solo (which I haven't attempted that much yet).

i'm trying to play some yngview malmsten stuff but he is too fast! how can i get faster?

a friend of mine said thhat if i eat lots and lots of CAKE i will get pretty fas, lie k yngvuew? does that work huh?

bball_1523 said:
I'm having lots of trouble trying to play the intro sequence in the drapery falls.

Code:
1:-8---
2:-8---
3:-8---
4:-12--
5:-10--
6:-8--
Bar the 8th fret with your first finger, middle on the 10, pinky on the 12th. Practice by going from a regular barre chord to that chord. It'll get easier as you practice.

Mr. Niel said:
Bar the 8th fret with your first finger, middle on the 10, pinky on the 12th. Practice by going from a regular barre chord to that chord. It'll get easier as you practice.

I guess my fingers don't stretch that well yet either, but what specific stretching method is there to get my fingers positioned the way you just said to position?

I've been doing 8th fret-1st finger, 10th fret-third finger, 12th-pinky.

I tried your method but my fingers won't stretch as much, such that my first finger won't even barre the notes on the 8th fret.

try this, it's not as full sounding as the whole barre chord but it gets the basic sound of it-

you'l be playing the top 3 strings mostly (E,A,D)- your first finger plays the "c" (6th string, 8th fret) while basically muting all others- second finger plays "g" (5th string, 10th fret) and your fourth finger will hammer on the "d" (4th string, 12th fret) then slide up to the d# (4th string, 13th fret)- strum out the chord in time to get the feel for the hammer and slide-

slide down the neck a step (in the same position and technique) for the 2nd chord of the intro-

hope that helps now for some instant gratification- also, practice the original barre, your fingers will get there

Mr. Niel said:
Exactly what he said.

when i play it i actually bring the headstock on the guitar closer to me so the neck is a bit more vertical (kinda like that munter in korn) it gives you better grabs on the chord
anyelse notice how un-good peter is at playing this big of the song?

I don't know about you guys, but I'm pretty sure this is how the guys from Opeth play it:
Pict0032.JPG

It's heaps easier than using your middle finger on the 10th so you can use it to hammer from 6-7 when the time comes :D

stretch:
this is the technique i use to stretch, dunno if this is 'proper' or whatever, but not i can reach from the 10th fret to the end of the neck

jusy relax your hand, then spread it as wide as you can, hold for 10 or so seconds, repeat a few times. then, relax pinky, ring, and middle finger, and stretch the pointer as far away from them as you can, hold for 10 seconds or so, then do this with each finger. do this everyday, and before you know it, you can reach practicaly anything

Katatonic gets the cookie! thanks for the tip. Actually the chord after it gives me a lot more trouble...other then that the song is pretty easy. Oh except that one part, you know what I mean.