Love/Hate relationship with The Drapery Falls

I think it's a decent song. The intro and outro are a bit boring, and the second growling part repeats more times than I like, but everything else is gold. The Russian part, the crazy diminished chord out-of-tune section, and of course, the acoustic sections.

It's the song that really got me into Opeth. I went and bought BWP immediately after I heard it and then I was hooked. Its just a prime example of good song writing and musicianship. I don't think I could ever get tired of it, really.

AHHHHHHHHHHHAHHHHHHHAHHHHHHHHAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH AHHHHHHHHH AHHHHHHHHHH AHHHHHHHHH AHHHHHHH AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH AH AH AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

In my opinion The Drapery Falls epitomizes what Opeth were about till the time of Damnation. It's a sort of catch-all song with most of the elements of Opeth up to that time. Ghost Reveries and esperically Watershed included new stuff so new listeners will probably find TDF to be nothing special.

I am a fairly new listener to Opeth, and The Drapery Falls was the song that really grabbed me and made me want to listen to Opeth. I have no trouble digging their old stuff as well as their new stuff, it's all good.

I find myself listening to this song and thinking "Wow, it's fucking incredible!" and then the next time I'll think "WTF, this song isn't so great" and I don't really understand it.

There was a time when I didn't really care for this song or BWP as an album. After a hiatus I gave the album another chance & couldn't believe how great it was. BWP is now one of my fav's & TDF is probably my 3rd favorite song on the album, after BWP & Dirge.

When I think BWP I think BLEAK. The Drapery Falls, no matter how great, can never touch the beauty that is Bleak. Heck, the Devious movement in your eyes section is arguably the greatest thing the band has come up with. Such power - never fails to give me the chills.

But yeah, TDF is still one of the band's finest material. High class song that doesn't disappoint. I'm just glad on the upcoming live DVD BLEAK is the song that finally gets some attention.

I remember listening to a sample from "The Drapery Falls" on Opeth.com before Blackwater Park was released, and I recall loving what I heard.

When Blackwater Park was finally released, I left early that morning to go and buy it. After buying it(with a big smile on my face upon exiting the record shop)I eagerly put it in my car's cd player, and I was just amazed, it was like candy, but in the form of music.

It was funny, because during that time period I was working for a semiconductor company, and I had stopped at gas station to fuel-up, after fueling up, I went inside to pay for the gas, and that's when I discovered through a newspaper that the company that I was working for (Texas Instruments) was gonna close down the plant, they just hadn't informed their employees yet. So as you could imagine it was a really big shock for me, and the vibe of Blackwater Park coencided perfectly with the way I felt that day.

Yeah I really miss those days, I can't believe it's been seven years since that album came out.

Nope, I always have the patience for The Drapery Falls. I think it's an amazing song, once again it's Opeth's sheer contrast that creates a special mood. It's really mellow, and when it's heavy, it's very heavy. I think it has a bit extra meaning to me because I actually saw it being played live all tight and well, which was the highlight of the show for me, even though they also played Deliverance and The Baying of the Hounds.