Love/Hate relationship with The Drapery Falls

Vega Skater

Oct 22, 2007
Sydney
Just wanted to share my experiences and hear others' thoughts.

So like many, The Drapery Falls really helped me get into Opeth. The acoustic sections, 'into ahhh...' surprise chorus, transition back to mellow.. wow absolutely out of this world. But as time went on I found Opeth's other material more interesting and I even forget at times that TDF is on Blackwater Park. If I want to enjoy it I really need to attempt to be patient, because let's be honest, it is one of Opeth's slowest numbers. However, when I do take the time to be patient and absorb it all, I'm drawn in once again.

Does anybody else experience these ups and downs with The Drapery Falls?

Maybe I simply feel this way because it seems to be a regular on live setlists.

Never got tired of it really,it was one of the songs of Opeth I got into in my early days of listening to them,seeing it live helped.I do make sure I don't overkill songs though,so I have had a few breaks from TDF at times.The word epic was made for masterpieces like this track truely is!

i think i have this with the leper affinity cuz i heard it so many times

I don't like the main riff (intro and outro) - it's really boring.
But otherwise song is great. "Pull me down again" and "old-school death metal" parts are fantastic.

I don't like the main riff (intro and outro) - it's really boring.
But otherwise song is great. "Pull me down again" and "old-school death metal" parts are fantastic.

i think this is one of my favorite opeth riffs:mad: it does go on for pretty long time but i never had a problem with that

edit: it gives me teh shiverz too

I am a quite fresh Opeth-fan, discovered them in 05, so the first album I heard was GR. BWP and The Drapery Falls came later, so I haven't really taken the song under my skin. I know it's considdered the best song by many people, but it's still the only song on Blackwater Park I can't say I have a solid relationship to... Alas, that's why I'm planning on taking the time to listen real good to it some time soon.

Nope. This song is just as great as it was when I first heard it years ago.

I can't imagine ever getting tired of it. Too many elements of greatness.

Plus, it's changed a bit over the years. Listening to early versions with Lopez, and later again with Axe and per. It's not all the same.

This song was instrumental (heh) in winning me over to Opeth, but now it's my second-least-listened to song on the album (after 'Patterns in the Ivy'). I guess I'm kind of like you, Vega Skater, on this: It doesn't often occur to me to listen to this song, but when I do, it kicks my ass, especially after the song darkles and the growls kick in. Then it just destroys.

Vivören;7371082 said:
You have a more solid relationship to Patterns In The Ivy than to The Drapery Falls?

You, kind sir, are an anomoly.

Well, that is if i duct tape PITI to Blackwater Park(the song) :heh:

i was really into TDF when i first got into opeth, iv got out of it for a bit (still a great song though) but since seeing it live on the dream theater tour iv come back around to it and i love it again

The Drapery Falls is one of those songs that everyone just agrees that it's one of the greatest songs the band has ever released so they kind of put it aside and don't have to worry about it. It's kind of a weird way to explain it but that's how I feel about it. I never have to 'try' to enjoy The Drapery Falls like I have to 'try' to enjoy The Grand Conjuration. It takes no effort.