GUITARISTS: A quick question

Katalepsy

Aug 2, 2004
katalepsy.741.com
Okay, this may seem like a really strange question...But I wanted to know, how many of you guitarists use your pinky as you would all your other fingers on the fretboard? I have noticed a lot of people rarely or never use their pinky, and I'm thinking "Holy hell...that's just too weird." And I have been playing guitar for about 2 years and 3 months, but that inquiry just recently popped into my head.

Your pinky should be just as good as your other fingers.

In fact, I've started to do a lot of multi-finger tapping lately (not 8 fingers, since the index holds the pick, but 7, like Stephan Forté), and now I've finally managed to get my right hand pinky up to par with my other tapping fingers.

Just practice, and the strength and control will come.

Oh, I have no problem with controlling my pinky and using it as I would all my other fingers, but I'm just saying, a few of my friends don't use their pinky at all, and some guitarists like Timo Tolkki, I have noticed rarely use their pinky for stuff like solos.

Katalepsy said:
Oh, I have no problem with controlling my pinky and using it as I would all my other fingers, but I'm just saying, a few of my friends don't use their pinky at all, and some guitarists like Timo Tolkki, I have noticed rarely use their pinky for stuff like solos.

Both Mikes? :p

I have a very strong pinky that I can do all sorts of legato, etc with...oddly..it's stronger than my ring finger.

I actaully have to work my ring finger harder to keep up!

Just stick with it, use it often, and in time, you will be all over the place with it.

The fact of the matter is, at some point if you want to play really fast runs, you will have to use your pinky. Your first 3 fingers just aren;t gonna span those whole step, whole step runs unless you are Alan Holdsworth. You also need your pinky for many 7, 9, 13 chords. The only place I think you can get away with letting your pinky fall below the other fingers in use is bending. Some people can never bend a string well with the pinky, even when practicing and strenghthening it. However, in that instance, there is always a way to get your ring finger into the right place.

i used to never use it hardly but i use it alot now. It's not quite as strong as my other fingers but close. It's a good idea to use it often, that way theres less hand movement and it makes stuff alot easier to play. Sea of lies would suck without your pinky lol

I never had a problem with my pinky. It's one of my five fingers on my left hand - it only seems natural to use it as one would any of the others. I crammed on scales pretty hard way back when I was first starting, and it's only natural to use your pinky. That said, there are plenty of instances when stretching your ring finger an extra fret makes certain things easier and/or faster to play; but, my pinky comes in naturally as it needs to.

If you see people not using their pinky, then it might be because of 2 reasons:
1- They have a really bad habit (this normally applies to starting guitar players, as you can't really get away with this habit;))
2- Their solo runs are mostly pentatonic, or any scale similar. If you have only 2 notes per string (perhaps adding a third in between), it's more comfortable for some people using only their first three fingers.

So... don't get dragged into the bad habit of not using your pinky.

I don't see why not to use pinky if you can... Sure it needs more pratcicing as it is weaker then other fingers but it's worth it. It is also important to watch how your hand 'behaves' on the fretboard because some players tend to keep their first finger comfortably close to the fretboard and fourth far away from it as their hand is not parllel to the fretboard...

it's not so much that the pinky is weaker than all the fingers that makes more practice necessary, it's the fact that it's not as independent as your other 3 fretting fingers, unless you think you're Hendrix and fret with your thumb, in which case, your other 4 fingers. But I have always used my pinky, since the first time I picked up a guitar and sucked, it became a force of habit to form power chords with my pointer and pinky, which, most people don't seem to think is the "correct" way to form such chords. I use my pinky a lot because I'm comfortable doing so, since I've been using it the same way for almost 3 years, but more effectively as I progress.

Katalepsy said:
it's not so much that the pinky is weaker than all the fingers that makes more practice necessary, it's the fact that it's not as independent as your other 3 fretting fingers, unless you think you're Hendrix and fret with your thumb, in which case, your other 4 fingers. But I have always used my pinky, since the first time I picked up a guitar and sucked, it became a force of habit to form power chords with my pointer and pinky, which, most people don't seem to think is the "correct" way to form such chords. I use my pinky a lot because I'm comfortable doing so, since I've been using it the same way for almost 3 years, but more effectively as I progress.

I also use my pinky for powercords, its easier on the hands plus it opens up your other fingers for odd cord switches and such, plus it feels more natural.

Katalepsy said:
Okay, this may seem like a really strange question...But I wanted to know, how many of you guitarists use your pinky as you would all your other fingers on the fretboard? I have noticed a lot of people rarely or never use their pinky, and I'm thinking "Holy hell...that's just too weird." And I have been playing guitar for about 2 years and 3 months, but that inquiry just recently popped into my head.

I actually play power chords with my index and pinky unless I am going to variate it. It's probably a bad habit as opposed to a good one, but that's the way I have been playing for going on 20 years. I actually probably have more dexterity in my pinky than my ring finger. I also have fat fingers, so the pinky works great upstairs on the neck.

Bryant