Guitarists

I'm 22 and I've been playing about 7 years and I seem to progress more when I don't play for a week and then pick up my axe again, I don't get as frustrated seeing as I don't jam every day so I have more patience when I space out my practicing. I am developing one hell of a vibrato and my solo skills are getting much improved. I need to open up my music theory books more and learn some more of that shit so I don't get stuck in a block as much, but that involve lots of practicing and patience which I don't have particularily. I just love to crank my amp and experiment with lots of different shit that I think may sound good

sands of the seas said:
I'm doing yr 12 music at school and for the exam at the end of the year we have to play a selection of songs from a list we were given at the start of the year.

You have to pick songs from a list for the HSC?? :eek:

I'm 17 and I've been playing guitar for 2 and a bit years now.
Currently lacking in the theory department, but going ok techniques-wise, nothing special though.

I downloaded a pretty decent version of The Edge Of Forever for the PTE (mainly for the bass transcription, which was pretty accurate).

Rusted_in_peace50 said:
if you dont have it, go and download Power tab editor...it really helps with timing the solos you learn. Also you can hear it so you know the tab isnt shit.

Ive noticed that if your dedicated, within maybe 4 years you can master electric guitar technique, hell maybe even 3. However when it comes to soloing...that has infinite to learn
What I have noticed since I started playing bass is the quantity of guitar player playing off-rythm, especially in solos. Guitarist with insane chops without rythm is just painful to listen to. I suggest working on that a lot like Rusted mentionned with Powertabs. Another thing to try is to alternate your practice with a session with the metronome and one without just to build your feel for the rythm of the song.

Zax666 said:
Always With Me, Always With You isn't THAT much of a challenge, dude - the tapping part is quite easy (EVEN I can do it).
Well i was actually referring more to Sisters and Cliffs of Dover. I know Always With Me, Always With You isn't that hard, but remember people learn at different speeds. Whilst it may not be hard for you others may find it quite difficult.
Anyways, you have to admit that Cliffs of Dover is NOT and easy song! :D :loco:

been playing for about 2 years. Never been formerly taught besides an absolute begginer guitar class and theory which im in the middle of

I can do all the basic skills (bends, hammer on, blah blah), pick tapping, alternate picking, really sucky improv

for reference, about the hardest thing i can play is the solo to crazy train, and even that i cant do perfectly. pretty close but still...

I started guitar at age 10, 37 years ago......HUH?????? :Spin:

Anyway, wore the grooves out of many record albums and 45s learning to play John Fogerty and old blues licks.
If I would have had the resources at hand that are available now, I can't imagine how I would have run with it. I'm from the "old school" hehe
Desire is the most important factor, perserverence is # 2 (so, your fingers are bleeding??!!)
I play mostly acoustic fingerstyle now.
Stick with it and enjoy, guys and girls.

I've been playing guitar for a little more than 2 years now. I've been pretty serious about it the past year or so, and within the past 3 or 4 months been practicing Romeo style tapping. I suck at sweeping, I still only feel totally comfortable with some 3 string sweeps, my picking is inconsistent in terms of staying coordinated with my left hand but I'm working on that, and Romeo tapping is about the only thing I have going for me. Theory wise I know some stuff like the modes, arpeggios, time signatures, harmony, but i dont really know anything inside and out. I'm pretty bad at improvisation, at least in a metal style because it's harder imo to come up with a cool lead that's dark and heavy than a nice slower melodic lead.

alright - I'm 17 (about to turn 18) and i've been playing since I was eleven. I started out teaching myself (because my teacher sucked up 200 bucks from me without teaching me shit) and that was enough for quite some time. However, as I started becoming more aware of different types of music and all that i began to want more from my own playing - slayer stuff is just way to damn easy - so i persued it. Now, after 3 years of serious playing - i've got some stuff actually going on with my playing. Um... technique list includes tapping (multiple fingered), legato, sweep picking (i'm able to successfully arpeggiate up to 7 strings in a complete pattern quite swiftly - and have been working on sweep melodies of my own), fingerpicking of course, i've got most of my scales down pat, all tha modes and what not, umm... string skipping, shredding all that - umm, i still need work though

Next semester in college (im in my first year) I begin to take music courses to achieve a minor degree in music at my university, along with my major of biology.

damn that was long.

19 years old, been playing guitar for 10 years now. I took a few years of lessons for electric guitar and a couple years of classical guitar. I know all the theory and what not. There was a time when I was obsessed with practicing lead technique like tapping, sweeping and speed picking. Over time I've learned that most of that stuff doesn't matter. Let your technique evolve naturally. That comes from practicing and above all having a good time playing. If you want to become a truly good musician focus on songwriting and use the techniques you know to create whatever feeling you want to achieve with music.

been playing for over 20 years, but only seriously for the past 16 or so

as far as learning your scales, the key to the whole thing is using 3 note per string scalar patterns, and there are 7 basic scalar patterns, (as well as countless variations, for you nit-pickers).

arpeggios are great, but if you can play these 7 basic scalar patterns (modes) up and down the neck, and understand their relationships to one another, you'll be a long way toward mastering the fretboard.

this is how the shredders rip solos all over the fretboard, yet remain "in key" with the song/chord progression.

using these modes, at a certain point, you won't really be concerned about a solo section's key signature: you'll be able to rip equally well in any key.

Did I already post in this thread long ago? Meh, I'm too lazy to read the first page.

Um... yeah. SevenString speaks the truth (and I'm a fellow 7-stringer. Rock on!) Although 3 note-per-string is good, you tend to fall into the same boxes that have been hollowed out by Petrucci, Romeo, and the like, so I'm getting away from it. I'm starting to really like the CAGED system... with CAGED, 3 note-per-string, knowing the single-string versions of scales, 5-note-per string, and just knowing the key signatures and notes, then you can really navigate the fretboard and you're really free of the boundaries of each system once you combine them all.

Anyway, guitarists rule, here's my info that everyone seems to be posting: I'm 18, been playing since I was 12. Music school audition in 17 days! Wish me luck!

agreed, ofSins... the three note per string thing is a foundation, but ONLY a foundation to the mastery... great for getting into racer-x territory, etc, but from there, players should stretch out into more "stretchy" patterns, string skipping, whole-tone scales, 12 tone patterns, etc...

SevenString said:
agreed, ofSins... the three note per string thing is a foundation, but ONLY a foundation to the mastery... great for getting into racer-x territory, etc, but from there, players should stretch out into more "stretchy" patterns, string skipping, whole-tone scales, 12 tone patterns, etc...

Indeed, ol' Pauly G. was quite the master with 3 nps, and alternate picking in general.

I find that learning classical stuff is a great way to give your technique a workout, since most of it wasn't written for guitar so it requires you to work with lots of string skips and position shifts. Bach's a lot of fun (probably why Romeo has Bach in like 5 songs on each album).