A couple MJR observations for guitarists

SyXified

Jun 22, 2003
Massachusetts
www.unholymothers.com
I wanted to post a couple things I noticed about MJRs playing that ended up helping my playing quite a bit and were of great use to me. These are things I am not sure most people have noticed.

1. When sitting and playing, MJR positions the body of his guitar between his legs. Many people let the grove of the body fall on their 'outside' leg (closer to picking hand). I at first thought this was just a personal comfort thing, but I realized ultimately that holding it the way MJR does allows you MUCH better upper fret access with good form of the wrist. If you try to play on the highest frets with the guitar on your outside leg, you are obligated to arch your wrist because your upper arm collides with your body and you have to bend at the elbow to make further headway with your hand. If, however, you hold the guitar like MJR does, you can reach the highest frets without breaking form because you don't have to bend at the elbow - all frets can be reached by moving at the shoulder, and therefore you can keep good form in your wrist.

2. When tapping, MJR uses his index finger - whereas most guitarists use their middle finger. I think we can agree that his tapping is of a caliber that means he is doing something right, more so than most. I've found that tapping with the index is better than with the middle finger for a few reasons. One, the index finger is just a superior finger to the middle finger. That's just a known fact about our biological makeup - the index finger is the go to guy for work and is the most accurate. Two, the index finger can move side to side with far more independence than the middle finger. As a result you do not have to move your whole hand as much when changing strings being tapped. Third, muting is easier with the index finger because all other fingers are on one side of it and can be anchored across the strings safely.

Of course, you may ask, what is to be done with the pick if you are to tap with the index finger. What MJR does is a quick little move where he slides the pick into a wedge formed by his middle finger, between the first and second knuckle. I've learned to effectively make this little transition and it actually doesn't take all that long to reach a point where you can make this move to and from with relative ease. It allows for an extremely quick switch in and out of tapping mode.

Hope that is of some interest to a few guitarists here!

i dont think theres one way of playing guitar thats right or wrong, only whatever feels comfortable to the individual, but saying that, if this is good for you, great.

i dont think theres one way of playing guitar thats right or wrong, only whatever feels comfortable to the individual, but saying that, if this is good for you, great.

I don't think hes talking about comfort, hes talking about the best way to play the guitar. Like the part about the sitting down and playing thing, hes right. If you have it leaning over your right leg then your elbow will smack into your body before you get to the higher frets. All clasical guitar players are trained to play with the guitar sitting in between their legs and hanging on the left leg because thats the best way to access the higher frets.

His post is not about comfort, its about accuracy and accessibility.

I've tried index finger but I still prefer middle one (and the rest). It's easier for me to keep the pick in one place and tap with other fingers. But you're right about the superiority of the index finger. :)

In fact all fingers should be index ones. Thumbs up for this great idea. ... Doh! :loco:

I don't think hes talking about comfort, hes talking about the best way to play the guitar. Like the part about the sitting down and playing thing, hes right. If you have it leaning over your right leg then your elbow will smack into your body before you get to the higher frets. All clasical guitar players are trained to play with the guitar sitting in between their legs and hanging on the left leg because thats the best way to access the higher frets.

His post is not about comfort, its about accuracy and accessibility.

Many thanks, you've saved me a post. :)

All clasical guitar players are trained to play with the guitar sitting in between their legs and hanging on the left leg because thats the best way to access the higher frets.

Incorrect, it is about wrist posture across the entire neck. The angle of the neck lends itself better that way and you are in a more centered position with it so you're using better wrist posture everywhere on the neck. Have you ever played classical guitar? to get much higher than the 12th fret you have to reach across the body by arching your wrist or hooking your arm, regardless of what leg it's on, so you're not really in a good position regardless. Even still, the amount of time a classical player's left hand is going to be spending beyond the 12th fret is too low for that sort of thing to even be needed for consideration. The higher-fret access does become a factor when playing electric (or an acoustic with a cutaway, to a lesser extent), but nonetheless, it's still secondary to wrist posture. Better wrist posture=better mobility with your hand and wider stretches with the fingers.

About the tapping thing, the bits about the index being a stronger, more dominant finger are true. That said, I would still disagree that it's the most efficient way.

-the "MJR does it so it must be the best way" agument loses it's ground as soon as I mention names like Greg Howe, Guthrie Govan (who sometimes does the exact opposite of MJR....holds the pick in the crook of his index finger while tapping with the rest of his fingers), Vai, etc.

-No matter how quick you are with tucking the pick away somewhere, it's going to be innefficient for certain licks where you are very quickly going back and forth between tapping and picking. It just creates unnecessary work in these situations. A quick switch still takes longer than no switch at all

-I also disagree that muting is any easier either way...the muting technique is (or should be) essentially the same either way

All that said, tapping is definitely one of those things where different people do it to different extents and in different contexts so there isn't (nor does there need to be) a universal way to do it. I'd define good technique (this is for anything, not just tapping)as anything that sounds good, doesn't cause injury, and is efficient. Many times, there are more ways than one to meet those criteria.

1. It fully makes sense, but I've already tried it and I don't feel comfortable playing like for more than 5 minutes. I prefer overall comfort over a little bit more comfort for the wrist.

2. I've always tapped this way. It was the most natural way when I started and I still think it is. I really is easier and perfect for muting.

Incorrect

Nope, I'm not. As a person who started on classical guitar, and as a person who knows a couple of people going to college for classical guitar, and also as a person whom which knows Berklee graduates personally, I am correct because thats what they all told me. Sure its about wrist blah blah blah, but to say I am incorrect is over the top to say the least. Also, my opinion (and known facts) are better than yours so I automatically win. :headbang:

umm i really have to disagree with you

a) this sitting thing is a preference IMO some hate it some love it, its not just him that does a shit load of players do it

b) i personally think that when doing string skipped tapped shit with your index is way harder it doesnt sound as clean but thats for me. so its different for everyone its not a rule book

There's no right or wrong way to do anything...whatever works for the individual. The text book standards can only provide a starting point and possibly give the most logical, "works for the majority" type of approach.

Meedly is right about the classical stuff...it's mechanics...it physically gives a more consistent wrist position.

Tapping? absolutely all about what works best for you...I mean really...it's only been considered a technique for about 30 years...I don't think anyone's dug up the lost tapping tablets yet to determine right or wrong.

This thread is silly.

When I tap on bass, I push my index finger and middle finger (and sometimes my thumb) together for a more powerful attack. Since the middle finger is the longest, I use it to physically hit the string.

I believe Lepond taps in the same way. If you ask me, such a powerful attack is needed for bass tapping. For guitar I would imagine it is less important, although I guess it all depends on how powerful your pickups are.

Nope, I'm not. As a person who started on classical guitar, and as a person who knows a couple of people going to college for classical guitar, and also as a person whom which knows Berklee graduates personally, I am correct because thats what they all told me. Sure its about wrist blah blah blah, but to say I am incorrect is over the top to say the least. Also, my opinion (and known facts) are better than yours so I automatically win. :headbang:

It wasn't over the top at all. I didn't think I would need to sugarcoat that for you...I guess I just didn't realize you were so sensitive to facts and logic. Way to avoid any actual counter-argument, though, not that one really exists....but if that's how you want this conversation to play out, then:

-I AM a guitar major
-I know dozens of berklee alumni, a few current students, and study with a few current and former berklee instructors (but seriously....Berklee being brought up in a discussion about classical guitar?:lol:)
-I have 2 friends with Master's Degrees in Classical Guitar (one going for his doctorate actually) one who's currently going for his Master's, and 2 going for their bachelor's in classical guitar
-I teach/study/play a lot of classical guitar
-my uncle is an orthopedic surgeon specializing in hands and I've discussed this sort of thing with him extensively

Now...if anyone can tell me how any of the above bits of information are in any way important to this discussion, let me know.

It's about wrist positions/posture. The end.

:)Merry Christmas everybody

Merry Christmas!

I went to Berklee for a semester...what a monumental waste of money. My friend continued and graduated as a guitar major. Now he works in a warehouse.

I still think it's a silly thread.

It wasn't over the top at all. I didn't think I would need to sugarcoat that for you...I guess I just didn't realize you were so sensitive to facts and logic. Way to avoid any actual counter-argument, though, not that one really exists....but if that's how you want this conversation to play out, then:

-I AM a guitar major
-I know dozens of berklee alumni, a few current students, and study with a few current and former berklee instructors (but seriously....Berklee being brought up in a discussion about classical guitar?:lol:)
-I have 2 friends with Master's Degrees in Classical Guitar (one going for his doctorate actually) one who's currently going for his Master's, and 2 going for their bachelor's in classical guitar
-I teach/study/play a lot of classical guitar
-my uncle is an orthopedic surgeon specializing in hands and I've discussed this sort of thing with him extensively

Now...if anyone can tell me how any of the above bits of information are in any way important to this discussion, let me know.

It's about wrist positions/posture. The end.

:)Merry Christmas everybody

Heres what you want:

You're right. I concur. Yes! I agree with you.

Come on, boys...it's Christmas...ho ho ho...did anyone get some cool musical gear for xmas? I got the Fulltone OCD, but I think I'm returning it tomorrow...it doesn't sound great with my Carvin.

Heres what you want:

You're right. I concur. Yes! I agree with you.

If you had a legitimate argument to try and back your claim, that would have done just fine as well, but since you don't, that will do just fine:)

Schenk...what about the OCD didn't you like? I had decent results using it with single coils on a Blues Jr., but I can't say I was really sold on it either. I seem to come back to the TS9 and/or BB preamp no matter what else I try.