Fingering

Altitudes

Stay Frosty
Jun 18, 2007
California
Question: When doing scale runs/licks that have two consecutive whole step intervals like in the following example, do you use your index-middle-pinky or the index-ring-pinky combination?

PaulGilbertFingeringExample1.jpg

This is how Paul Gilbert would play it (granted, most of us would not use our pinky finger on higher frets like him). I never questioned my natural instinct to use my middle finger in between licks that have two consecutive whole step intervals (G-A-B in this case, in G major/E minor).

Example of PG playing that lick:

Would this type of fingering work on frets in a lower register, like in this example?

PaulGilbertFingeringExample2.jpg

I would imagine an index-middle-pinky would be most natural, but again, how do you guys play it?

None of this is difficult for me, I just never really thought about other fingering possibilities. Maybe PG's is unconventional :lol:

Yeah, definitely middle. I played the second lick with my pinky and it doesn't feel comfortable at all. To me anyway. The next lick I would use 1st, 2nd and 4th. Paul Gilbert seems to have a strange fingering fetish...

I play the first one like Gilbert. On second one I use middle finger instead of ring finger.

Yeah, but do you still use the 1-3-4 combination when you are around the 10th fret like Paul does in the video I posted? Is it more of a natural feel for you people who do play it like PG, and just adapt to playing it differently with the middle finger when the frets get wider?

I dont get the reach between 3rd and 4th finger so I need the extra space thats in between the 2nd and 3rd to make the 4th hit home (if Im lucky) This is all hard for me, finger tip accuracy not very good any more.

My finger are fairly long, but I have never practiced this fingering PG does. I know it doesn't matter and I will not be able to change my playing style because the index-middle-pinky combo is encoded into my head! I cannot be converted :lol:

I played in HS varsity for my junior and senior year. College I'm in now doesn't have a basketball program and there are not many local "safe" courts around so I don't really play anymore.

American Football? No thanks.. not into it.