how do you finger this locrian 5 string pattern

flying_whale

Rome 64 C.E.
May 17, 2006
Seattle,Wa
www.myspace.com
Since we are talking about the locrian mode for the solo competition. F# locrian is also the 2nd mode of e minor, so i came up with this F# locrian shape 3NPS 2 octaves, but i'm not sure how to finger it, so i can practice it with a metronome like i do with 3nps minor 5 string pattern

E----------------------------------------------------10--12--14 And back
B--------------------------------------10--12--13 the same
G---------------------------9--11--12 way to the
D--------------9--10--12 root on A
A---9--10--12 string
E

Question #1 for the notes on the G and B strigs should i use 1,3,4 or 1,2,3 for fingering when i practice it?
muchas gracias,
paul

Hey LOTS,
For the pattern you mentioned, I would reccomend the following approach:
1-2-4 for the A&D strings, 1-3-4 for the G&B strings, and 1-2-4 for the Hi E.
As for the 1-2-3 or 1-3-4 approach, try both, and go with what feels easiest to you. There's always a reason, concious or not, as to why someone chooses a certain fingering over another.
The pattern you're playing from position-wise is C Lydian. Try finding the Locrian mode in the other patterns on the neck, octave up or down as well, to find it all over the neck.

Hey LOTS,
For the pattern you mentioned, I would reccomend the following approach:
1-2-4 for the A&D strings, 1-3-4 for the G&B strings, and 1-2-4 for the Hi E.
As for the 1-2-3 or 1-3-4 approach, try both, and go with what feels easiest to you. There's always a reason, concious or not, as to why someone chooses a certain fingering over another.
The pattern you're playing from position-wise is C Lydian. Try finding the Locrian mode in the other patterns on the neck, octave up or down as well, to find it all over the neck.
thanks for the reply, Steve. I think the easiest one for me is to use 1-3-4 for G&B ascending, and 1-2-3, descending. I will practice that and hope i won't regret it later. When I'm messing around with the guitar like i did 5 minutes ago i tried to go out of that box while still playing in F# locrian and I hope i travelled the fretboard on key, I will use that shape as alt picking/legatto practice, not for that being the "only" locrian thing ever
I am totally lost why that position is C Lydian (since i think i'm in the 9th position, although i might be wrong (probably :lol:), because the only Cs that are "nearby" are 8th fret E string, and 10th fret D string.
paukl

I practice them both - I'm never sure when I'm going to want to throw in an odd note above or below, and with the frets as small as they are up there you don't have much of a stretch to worry about.