[Firebox] latency ONLY when using pitch-shifting plugins

Dexter_prog

New Metal Member
Apr 5, 2006
Buenos Aires, Argentina
I am trying to record a "bass" guitar with my 7-string guitar by using a pitch-shifter plugin, but, for some reason they produce huge amounts of latency (like 0.5 seconds). I tried it in Reaper and Cubase and it happens in both DAWs.

Latency settings in Firebox control panel is set to 8ms. It doesn't go away even if I change it to 2ms.

I also hear some pops and clicks too.

What could be causing this?

Probably just the nature of the plug-in and inherent huge latency.

Just monitor through some kinda bass sim and keep the volume rather low and pitch-shift AFTER you track. It'll sound silly at first but it's going to sound silly anyways, lol.

There are ways to make it sound lesss sucky and fake. I just pretend it's a real bass guitar and process it accordingly. Everything I've ever written has had pitch-shifted guitar for bass, so.... I'm not knocking it at all!

Yep, for when I am unable to get access to a bass, I pitch shift too. I got those same problems until I decided to just stop monitoring with the pitch shifter plug in and put it in later like Sigmund said. You just gotta used to the fact you'll be playing in the same octave as a guitar and be hearing that when monitoring.

Oh, ok. So now direct monitoring. Guess I'm going to do that. Thanks people. Though I still wonder why I only have delay while pitch-shifting :/

It's just the actual plug in causing the latency, your Firebox is fine.

Oh, ok. So now direct monitoring. Guess I'm going to do that. Thanks people. Though I still wonder why I only have delay while pitch-shifting :/

What we're saying is you're not the only one dude and the workaround is to suck it up and monitor direct and hope it goes by quick. :lol: