Fireface 400 acting up! (host light comes on)

Oak

Apr 27, 2009
Sollentuna, Sweden
Maybe this isn't the place for hardware troubleshooting, but after trying for two weeks to get any input on my problem on RME's forum, I just want to check if any of you have hade troubles with firewire devices losing their connection from time to time?

The problem I'm having is with my RME Fireface 400. It's been super-stable for over a year, but the last couple of months, it's been loosing the host connection (the red host light comes on).

Sometimes it doesn't happen for a day or two, and then it starts happening with really short intervals. When it happens i need to reconnect the interface, and the host light turns off.

I'm using a 4-pin cable to the computer and using external power. I've tried things like different firewire cables, another powersupply, and so forth... More details in the rme-forum thread:

http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=7099

I can't really think of any electrical equipment I installed when this started happening... I've even built a new computer (the only thing being the same is the case and hard drives, even the PSU is new).

What would cause this kind of behavior?

Maybe try reinstalling the drivers and, if that doesnt work, the mobo drivers?

Have you changed OS in the year?

It's been the same on two different computers (or rather, it's been the same on my newly upgraded computer.. only the case, disks and graphics card is the same). I've found some grounding issues though giving potential-differences between different units causing current to flow in the casings (really small currents.. but enough)... I'm now running with a minimum of things connected to the computer and fireface. Hope that proves to be more stable...

I'm pretty sure it's not a driver problem, since I found out that when connecting an SPDIF RCA cable from my fireface to the g-major 2 - the host light came on instantly.. electrical interference probably, since now after a bit of disconnecting and reconnecting i can connect the g-major without the connection dropping.

Fun, fun, fun :(