Fireface 400 or DigimaxFS??

Grave Desire

Mar 10, 2005
Pittsburgh, PA
hey guys. I've been wanting to build a mobile recording rig for a while now to track guitars and bass(probably a POD and DI track) so I can save bands money and then just reamp at another studio with a good room, etc.

I'd want to keep the DAW pro tools so it will be an easy transfer to a bigger studio(all around here are running pro tools), and I'm much quicker on it.

I bought pro tools m-powered a while ago for my firewire 410. But to me the coverters and pre's on that are crap for recording album material and I want to really get a nice interface with good pre's and a nice converter.

After looking around I'm looking at either the RME fireface 400 or the Presonus DigimaxFS. I figure if i buy a m-audio profire lightbridge I can sync either as the master and have a much better signal path then I do now.

basically what i'm asking is has anyone had experience with both and can say is it worth the price jump to get an RME? The presonus piece has been getting good reviews(the jetPLL sounds cool)..but RME always seems to be highly respected for the quality you get.

Also would it be a better idea maybe to pick up a used 002 since i'm really only using the ADAT in for syncing and could avoid m-audio stuff all together?

Any help from you guys is appriciated!:loco: