Fireface 800 vs RNP clusterfuck shootout

[UEAK]Clowd;8914615 said:
someone should organize a multitrack shootout? like quadtrack rythyms+dual track leads+bass with an API 512 and quadtrack rythyms+dual track leads+bass with an ART.

That sounds sweet dude! Let us know when you're finished. :p

Really cool dude, thanks for doing this! I agree that all the differences are really subtle (though I didn't even bother listening to the non-TS ones, cuz I knew they'd be inferior :D), but IMO if the TS RNP Fort is a 10/10, TS RNP no fort would be like 9.9 and TS FF like 9.85 (the FF is ever so slightly less clear than the RNP, but jesus christ what a tiny difference) Nice to know that when I inevitably pick up an FF400, I'll be able to wait until I can afford an A2D :D

Also, the FF400 has nicer preamps than the FF800.

Try a null test with the bass trap vs non bass trap files, really cool to hear JUST the room sound/reflections that are the difference between the two files!

Null test between FF and FMR preamps is insane close, I have a hard time believing anyone could consistently pick them out against each other in a blind shootout...

That null test was interesting. With the FF vs RNP fort tracks, I bumped the RNP track by 0.2 dB to make them as equal as possible. Then I had to crank my monitors to hear what was left out, which seemed to be extra woofiness and some really ugly grit in the 2-3k range.

I think all 3 pre's sound pretty much the same. Crazy, considering the DMP3 is considered shit on Gearslutz. (Doesn't say much though, they choose gear over good music.)