First amp mic attempt. I don't know if I'm doing this right?

Mar 10, 2012
www.facebook.com
Hey guys. So I've been recording for about 2 years, and in the time I've messed with various miking techniques. I've messed with placement, different mics, etc. I took most of what I know from a video that Ola made a while back about getting guitar tones, and that helped a lot.
However, I've never released a mix that has a live recorded guitar tone. I always tended to go straight to DI. I always get tones that I absolutely fall in love with, so I figured it was no big deal. I had a client come in recently, and he said he wanted mic'd guitars, instead of DI. So I agreed and we set up on a Fender Blues Deville. It was an okay amp, I messed with a few mic placements, messed with a couple tone knobs and this is what I got. This is a 5 minute mastered version of a segment of the track..
So rip it up. What am I doing wrong?

EDIT: Sorry this was put in the wrong area, the new names confused me.

Last edited by a moderator:
That pumping kick is distracting as hell. Fast forwarding to 0:18 so I can hear the tone...
Well it all depends on what you're looking for. As long as you don't try the cab fail technique you'll be safe lol

Btw I personally hate to commit to a tone on the way in... I always like to play with the tone when the bands not around and I can focus on doing my job correctly. DI always for me, if you don't have a way of reamping then I guess you have no choice. You got a SM 57?