to mic or not to mic, that is the question

looked at this thread ages ago, but had no speakers, and i'm now listening to this clip through £9.99 pc speakers from Lidl through a pair of shitty headfones. and the sound is making me want to kill myself. BUT without reading it again, and just clicking on the link, i can hear the first part is a mic'd cab and the last two are using impulses. i'm still a newb to all this shizz and can hear the difference instantly even with wat i'm listening back through.

micing is the only way forward lol. i've been playing with impulse for months now, and you'l never get the sound u will from a mic'd amp with one. it IS all about the speakers constant movement (excursion) which cant be replicated by an impulse. and its this that makes mic'd amps sound soo damn sexy

looked at this thread ages ago, but had no speakers, and i'm now listening to this clip through £9.99 pc speakers from Lidl through a pair of shitty headfones. and the sound is making me want to kill myself. BUT without reading it again, and just clicking on the link, i can hear the first part is a mic'd cab and the last two are using impulses. i'm still a newb to all this shizz and can hear the difference instantly even with wat i'm listening back through.

micing is the only way forward lol. i've been playing with impulse for months now, and you'l never get the sound u will from a mic'd amp with one. it IS all about the speakers constant movement (excursion) which cant be replicated by an impulse. and its this that makes mic'd amps sound soo damn sexy

Oh, and BTW whichever one of you actually figures out how to replicate speaker movement (and I suppose you can throw in power tube gain) is going to be a rich son of a bitch. That's a million dollar creation.

I have a Motherload and a SPL Transducer which lets me run my amp power directly into this to get the power tubes cooking and its pretty amazing the tone you can get out of these. Its as close to a miced sound as I have heard and in some cases it sounds better.

Jason

I have a Motherload and a SPL Transducer which lets me run my amp power directly into this to get the power tubes cooking and its pretty amazing the tone you can get out of these. Its as close to a miced sound as I have heard and in some cases it sounds better.

Jason

Sounds cool - can you post some clips?