First attempt in a LONG time micing REAL drums...

Sounds nice and punchy, but there's something a bit... chorusy sounding about them.
maybe its just the reverb. im not sure.

toms sound fucking gorgeous though, and that kick sound is ideal! more punch and less click or splat, perfect. :D

OMFG THIS!!!!

don't eve over process this setup, I think you might need more close mics in the mix for an actaul song but the naturalness and lack of the whole modern over processing is amazing.

Sounds great but:

Did you do anything like parallel compression?
Sounds like there is something going on without delay-compensation

Or a reverb that has a small delay like 20ms or something like that...

I would love to hear it without the strange effects...

Performance is awsome!!!!

Sounds nice and punchy, but there's something a bit... chorusy sounding about them.
maybe its just the reverb. im not sure.

toms sound fucking gorgeous though, and that kick sound is ideal! more punch and less click or splat, perfect. :D

I'm trying to find the middle-ground between hard rock and metal drums... I don't like either more than the other... I like the lows in rock kicks and the punch/cut of metal kicks... difficult territory...

We're still setting everything up, turns out that it was the res-heads of the toms making that weird shimmering/chorus effect... going to be sorting that out today... the 'verb' you're hearing is the room mic squashed and compressed to shit...

OMFG THIS!!!!

don't eve over process this setup, I think you might need more close mics in the mix for an actaul song but the naturalness and lack of the whole modern over processing is amazing.

Thanks man, I'm not a fan of the overprocessed sound myself... at least with anything but technical/speed metal type stuff...

I'm thinking the eqing is going to change drastically within an actual mix... we're just testing out the room for recording at the moment... basically finally convinced my roommate that we can get some decent sounds out of the room and that we should start tracking/mixing bands... he finally agreed... now begin the tests...

Mathew, this is great! It would work perfectly in some rock mixes, I think. I really love to hear some real recoreded drums nowadays. Who played it btw? You?

Thank Felix.

I did not play it... while I can play, this take was just my roommate messing around with the kit... he's a pretty amazing drummer, actually.

Also, its his kit:

2009-10-26-165644.jpg

Sounds great but:

Did you do anything like parallel compression?
Sounds like there is something going on without delay-compensation

Or a reverb that has a small delay like 20ms or something like that...

I would love to hear it without the strange effects...

Performance is awsome!!!!

There is some slight parallel comp, but I've made up for the delay... as I typed above, the weird 'effect' is the resonant heads of the toms... the 20ms delay you're hearing is probably the room mic... it was set up quite a distance from the kit... no reverb plugins on this.

Any info on the mics, pres or room? It really does sound nice, great playing too!

Thanks!

The mics are Beta 52 on the kick, sm57s on the toms and snare top/bottom, sm81s(?) as overheads (spaced pair) and an AT4040 for the room mic.

The Pres were combination of Presonus Firestudio and FS (?) interfaces...

The room is a garage that we converted into a studio and dumped about $2k into building and treating...

Glad you guys liked it... for the most part.

After we suss out the toms and a couple other things we noticed, we'll begin tracking some demo songs so we can get things going, studio-wise...