Drum Mix (Real Drums) - In desperate need of feedback/advice

abaga129

The Apprentice
Here is my first attempt at micing up a real kit. I must say this is much more fun than using just straight samples haha. I've spent a good bit of time trying to process the drums to sound as good as I can. I plan to use samples along-side the real drums but I want to get them to sound the best that I can first.

The kick is giving me some serious problems. It seems that no matter how I eq it, it sounds good to me for about 30 seconds and then I realize it still sounds like someone slapping fart putty against a cardboard box.

I havent even got around to editing yet but here it is!
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/56167527/Raw Drums.mp3

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Hi!
It's really hard to judge a drum mix without the overal mix sounding with the another instruments. Simply you get some descent sounding, which is wiped out then in the final mix.
Generally speaking (if listen to the drums only), I'd prefer to turn the bottom snare mic down a bit and bring up the toms (they are too back currently).
BTW, the kick is not as bad as it may be in many cases with live drums sources. :)

Yo dude! This truly sounds sick, any processing done to these at all? Snare sounds sick (sample it) lol. I'd like to hear a bit more room tones. Toms could be a bit louder, what type of mics were you using on what?

Snare sounds a bit dry. Also, kick sounds kind of thin, but could work better in a mix than one might think. Also, really good for your first time micing up! I've heard many other real drums sounding far worse than this, haha. Cymbals may need some high-end boost also? Anyways, good job! :)