First crack at real drum mix i recorded!!

broken81

Used by Protools
Dec 26, 2005
Detroit, MI
Yep my very first real drums recording and mixing :zombie:

YouSendIt: The Leader in File Delivery.

Does my snare sound like complete poop??

Do the toms need more smack and less boom??

just dumb stuff im a newb...

I had a hell of a time with it getting a sound i even remotely like on snare.

Guitars and bass are just quick scratch tracks i did yesterday over top of drums and i have been mixing everything just to see what i could pull off with real drums. I know there is some loud parts i need to automate in blast beats and i think toms are a bit loud but my ears are going for today....

Have a listen let me know what you guys think please...

yea its sneap sample with vinnie paul mixed in i think im gonna try some other ones. You think i should beef up the kick drum to match it though or get toms more clanky (less beffy)??

How do you expect us to offer constructive criticism on YOUR drum recording/ tone when you've sampled the shit out of the kick with two pro samples?

Thats kinda a dumb answer no offense.. It's still a drum mix sampled or not :Smug:

I mean there is more to the drums than just the kick honestly how are the overheads do the cymbals sound like crap? to loud to soft? how's the high hat sound can you even hear it? What about the toms and the snare? Anyways I thought it was pretty common in metal to sample the kick 100% and mix drum samples and stuff like that. The kick drum i recorded sounded like ass so it was either sound like ass or sample it.

Yea i realized i didn't pick the best kick drum samples now and i will go back and mess with some other samples i got and try to make a better blend to fit the toms more. I don't have a kick drum Mic well a decent one anyway so recording a good kick sample is out of the question till i get me a d-112 or something.

Hey, we've all gotta start somewhere. Learning how to record drums takes time & patience. The mix wasn't too bad considering it's your first attempt.... Congrats, you've just taken your first step into the scary world of live drums. Work hard at it & you'll do fine.

-0z-

Yea bro drums are tough for sure glad I'm not the only one overwhelmed by this whole drum thing on here!!

here is a quick rundown of stuff used....

cymbals are pastie rude, zildjian a custom, meteor, And now just added like 2 days ago another zildjian a custom.

Mic pre's used were behringer ada8000 and digi002 and also on toms a big old peavey board i had laying around! i will post a pic of it below.

Drum set is a mapex (I'm a dumb ass and forgot model) I got some pics actually i just remebered....

Mic's on toms were cheap cad

floor tom was senheiser e609

Snare trusty 57

high hat was cheap cad condenser that came in drum Mic pack

Overheads were studio project B1

here is a few pics!!

Here is me finishing up setting up Mic's on the drums!!

andy002.jpg

Here is our drummer in action and side view

andy007.jpg

and here is that old peavey board

andy009.jpg

Thanks oz I'm very very overtaken by the whole experience i think its the toughest thing to record in my opinion so far. Bass is sorta tough but you can bury bass not the drums though!! Its Specially insane if you gonna go all acoustic drums and with all the Mic bleed and then there is Mic placement and then what drum head to use and tuning and then room acoustics and its like OMG what the hell have i got myself into.:heh:

I give you credit oz on your drum tones it ain't as easy as it looks :headbang:

Yeah I have to agree oz your drums are the shit.

Broken: That looks pretty sweet, alot better than what I was working with IMO.

And honestly I only didn't like the snare sound, even though I don't think I got the snare mixed right in my recording I had the luxery of recording a really nice fucking snare: Buy Pearl Ultracast Cast Aluminum Snare Drum online at Musician's Friend . I understand why you went samples on stuff cad isn't exactly gonna yield great results (although the cheapo set I got aint gonna either) but it's definitly cool when you get to do it.

Looks like you were able to dub out the room for it also.

If I can I will post some pics of the shit I did, I was working with a raw basment (no drywall up, just the shells of rooms) and it worked nice for breaking up the sound on the drums really well. I did however use a carpet as IMO it sounds better to me (sorry oz thats just subjective to me).

Good luck with future shit!

well correct me if I'm wrong cause i am new to this but i took a piece of string and measured from snare to each overhead Mic to make sure there the same distance from snare drum.

The snare is Little to the right in pic so thats why that right Mic is higher up but i made sure there the same distance from snare. Please if I'm doing this wrong i would love some insight on how i should get setup right.

You know I aint gonna lie I didn't measure on my mix I just spaced them until I liked it. lol

I aimed the tom mices toward the edge of the toms, same goes for the snare (I am refering to this thread: http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/rate-my-mix-tone-threads/274870-my-first-mix-real-drums.html)

Seriously I know it's probably wrong but I just moved the mices (OH) until I found the stereo field I was looking for and hit record. As far as higth goes well... I eyeballed it ;)

Hey sorry Broken81. I wasn't trying to hang shit on you, I was just making a point that if you're looking for constructive comments, then leaving your original tones would be a logical thing for me. That way we can all see where you're at with each mic/ peice of the kit and give feedback on the kit as a whole.

yea no offense taken i was a little taken by it at first but hey i understand were you came from though!!

I'm curios on overheads though and why they might be wrong:erk:

Like i said i measured each one to snare so they were equal distance and tried to get a good view of the whole kit from both Mic's so i was covering everything. Anyone else think they look funny or wrong cause i would like to fix what I'm doing if so!!

They sounded pretty good i thought and snare was pretty centered so i thought i was ok.....

Just a note on measuring the OH's from the snare, the general rule is that the distance between the mics and snare is that same as the distance between the mics too. Remember: equilateral triangle.

oh snap i totally forgot about that:erk:

Well stuff didn't sound to bad but I'm gonna have to keep that in mind next time i set up Mic's for overheads!!

Thanks for that reminder:headbang:

How do you go about like 4 Mic's on overheads i have seen in pics. I know some are covering cymbals or whatever but any formula to setting those up right?

It's funny how when you do something you think its cool but you give it a day or two and you really start to notice your flaws!!

Its good for my first quick mix on drums but I'm editing them now and gonna give it another go here soon!!

Thanks for the comment though:headbang: