First death metal mix

Forge Farm

Oct 6, 2004
Aveiro, Portugal
Hi all.

This is the first mix I submit. I've used everything I've learned on this site, but I need some fresh pair of ears to help me.

Please, let me know what you think. Smach away!!:headbang:

I LOVE this dude!!! The only complaint I have is the clean vocal during the song. Besides that I love the hole song/mix. I would buy a CD if it sounded anything like this. I can only wish to get my mixes to sound that good.

At the 00:23 mark when the guitars come in heavy, my god, that guitar is thick as hell and comanding!!!! Love it to death. Just get the death metal vocals thought-out the song and you got something here dude!!!

Peter

Thanks man, good thing you like it. :kickass:

My biggest concert with this mix is that there is a lot of things happening, with guitars, bass, violin and cello and I was afraid things would be in the way of one another.

Regarding the vocals, I'm afraid I agree with you. This guy has a sick scream, but his clean vocals aren't up to it.

Anyone else care to comment?

Many thanks.

Wow, that is a cool tune. Mellow but heavy, perfect for after work.

Guitars: I LOVE the tone, but the distortion is very loose.
Vocals: Lots of sibilance.
Drums: Nice.
Song: Awesome.

Sounds good.

Vocals are too loud. I'd drop them a few dBs. I really, really prefer buried vocals with my metal, but I catch shit for this all the time. So yeah...

And also, as pointed out above, there is a ton of sibilance on the vocals. You can work this out with a de-esser or a little EQing.

When those guitars come in at :24 or so, the tracking is off just a touch on those first couple of palm mutes. Since the guitars are playing solo, it sticks out more than it normally would. I doubt the average listener would notice, or even care, but it stuck out to me.

Thank you for all the input.

Regarding the sibilance, I've tried to remove it, but nothing worked. I guess my knowledge it's just very limited.

Where should I place the de-esser in the chain? In the vocal tracks, in the reverb? And which frequencies should I be looking for? My guess would be 3K up. Any advise would be most welcome.

The song is well played, but is not that tight played. It's a demo and I've decided for the acceptable. I guess on the next project I'll have to be a more pain in the ass of the musicians.:lol:

A De-Esser such as the Waves De-Esser works just fine. All you do is bring the threshold down (like a limiter) and it does the rest for you. In some cases I've had to adjust where it was compressing the sibilance, but only 2 or 3 times in the past 5 years of using it on vox. The other times I just set the threshold and it's done. I usually place the De-Esser first in the chain before anything else. That way I'm compressing an already de-essed track when I throw RComp on it and go to EQ.

The OH's seem too loud to me, mainly just the crashes right after the guitars play solo and the drums come back in. And yes, that sibilance is absolutely horrendous.

Good work though, nicely done.

~e.a

OK, so I placed the deesser and it improved quite a bit (thanks e.a :kickass: ). I've also changed some little details, please let me know what you think of this song.

And thank you for all your help so far, you guys rock. :headbang:

To me it sounds like there is just too much going on, so i struggle to pick up on the melodys cause of it. Everything seems to be a bid 'loud' in the way of eachother, if that can be fixed, it could be killer :)

To me it sounds like there is just too much going on, so i struggle to pick up on the melodys cause of it. Everything seems to be a bid 'loud' in the way of eachother, if that can be fixed, it could be killer :)

+1. Sounds like you just need to work on some automation, especially in the begining, so that there's a main focus, with the otehr tracks sitting in the back. Once the rhtyhms come in, it gets better. I actually think that maybee if you panned the rhythm guitars in to about 90L/90R, especially for that tremlo part towards the end, it would give it a more ceherent feel.

I'm really thakfull for all your input, as the mix is improving a lot.

I've added a little bit more of reverb on the string section and lowered the volume so they sit in the back.

Please, let me know what you think of the song now.

By the way, this song is from a band called Burning Sunset. When the demo is ready, it will probably be placed on myspace. This song can be considered their single.:lol: