first Engl Savage clip....

Lasse Lammert

HCAF Blitzkrieg
Feb 12, 2009
www.lasselammert.com
here's the first clip:

savage

it's far from good, but I didn't tweak it yet, it's pretty much just everything at noon...the tubes seem to be ancient.
also the lead vol pot seems to be fucked (even though ch4 is active the volume is still controlled by the ch3 pot...ch4 pot doesn't work at all...weird)...

so I'll have some fixing etc to do...meaning: MUCH better clips will follow (this recording was literally done 10 mins after the amp arrived).

Nice saturation on those palm mutes, and it sounds full but a bit muddy - in fact, I've honestly noticed a lot of your clips of all your different amps seem to have a slight muddy/sludgy quality to them; don't you often use different guitars for your clips? I'm just trying to figure out what the constant is that makes all the tones sound that way; maybe it's those stone picks? Don't misunderstand, you're stuff sounds awesome in the mix, I'm just amazed at the consistency between clips! (I assume this was through the Recto cab?)

Nice saturation on those palm mutes, and it sounds full but a bit muddy - in fact, I've honestly noticed a lot of your clips of all your different amps seem to have a slight muddy/sludgy quality to them; don't you often use different guitars for your clips? I'm just trying to figure out what the constant is that makes all the tones sound that way; maybe it's those stone picks? Don't misunderstand, you're stuff sounds awesome in the mix, I'm just amazed at the consistency between clips! (I assume this was through the Recto cab?)

nah, different guitars,cabs, picks etc....just the same taste every time ;)
I knida like it warm round and smooth with not too much bite

wasn't what i was expecting for the Savage. V. different to Goddamn Guitars clips. Is it E tuned?

You can clearly hear the ENGL sound going on there. If you haven't tried it yet I'm keeping my presence at 9 o clock and treble at 12 o clock. Over that it just gets grainy.
I'm looking forward hearing more clips as you dial it in more!

Hmm that doesn't sound right. Ch 4 still uses both gain stages though. I'm usually having crunch 3 on max and then dial the ch4 lead to my liking.

yeah, both gain stages are active, everything seems to be like it should be....just that vhanelvol3 controls both channels (3 and 4) atm and ch vol4 doesn't do anything...

yeah, it's a bit difficult to find the right balance between too grainy and too dull, your tips are highly appreciated, your clips sound great!

I've noticed that too, but I really dig it. As for this clip though, not so much. The palm mutes especially have a fizz I can only describe as digital (clearly its not but still). Might disappear in a mix though.

Apart from the palm mutes I like it. It just needs some filtering and will probably fit right into a mix.

here's the first clip:

savage

it's far from good, but I didn't tweak it yet, it's pretty much just everything at noon...the tubes seem to be ancient.
also the lead vol pot seems to be fucked (even though ch4 is active the volume is still controlled by the ch3 pot...ch4 pot doesn't work at all...weird)...

so I'll have some fixing etc to do...meaning: MUCH better clips will follow (this recording was literally done 10 mins after the amp arrived).

Is it just me or do your bareknuckle clips and this one contain a certain fizz in them?

Is it just me or do your bareknuckle clips and this one contain a certain fizz in them?

no bareknuckles on this one.

but yes, the presence is a notch too high on this clip.

that's the difficulty, the amp has a bit of the sterile quality that is typical for Engl, so presence too high is really a bit dangerous, I was just afraid of o+it becoming too dark....but yeah, I'll record some better clips later.
I'm also not sure what exactly is wrong with that channel-vol-thing and the tubes sound like they're ancient

soooo...just replaced all tubes....
and it's still similar...with Goddamn's settings and an sm57 at the center of the cone it still sounds like there's a thick balnket between mic and speaker :(

I said. Engl are unsensible to tubes change, when I change all the tubes in my 60 nothing changed.
Take note that it's not a plug and play amp...I spent many months to find the right tone on mine. Ok Savage 60 is a totally different amp, but the 5150 is way easier amp.