First interview on new album published!

cyanopsis

Dec 11, 2001
Falun, Sweden
I got the new issue of the biggest metal magazine in Sweden, Close-Up Magazine, in the mail today. Opeth interview!

(to sum it up; citations are not exact words)
About the new album: "The new album is perhaps not the heaviest, but most probably the darkest". "It is cynical and mean". The song "By the Pain I see in Others" inhabits a feeling of unease and evilness, "I have discovered that it is almost painful to listen to", says Mike.

About Damnation: "It is not a metal album, it is not even heavy metal. It has proggy influences with a common song structure: verse, chorus, verse, chorus, bridge, verse, chorus, end and everything else you've heard about but never managed to pull yourself", says Peter.

Then they talk a bit about the strategic suicide they might commit by putting out this sort of album (First of all Deliverance in comparsion to BWP and then Damnation in comparsion to Deliverance). They compare themselves to Radiohead's "Kid A" which fans didn't like at all, after they put out the commercially acclaimed "OK Computer". "I am sure they were proud nevertheless", says Peter, "so will we be".

The Grammy Nomination:
"They were happy being nominated, but when attending to the gala, they were put down by the complete falseness from the other bands and the music community." "Its all a big show for the money".

The gig in Stockholm:
"Very nervous gig, they hadn't played in Stockholm since 1996". Mikes parents were there (for the first time I am guessing) since they missed them when they played at Studion in '96 because they played too early. They were able to catch Cradle of Filth a little bit later :)

/Peter Johansson

Originally posted by cyanopsis
About Damnation: "It is not a metal album, it is not even heavy metal. It has proggy influences with a common song structure: verse, chorus, verse, chorus, bridge, verse, chorus, end and everything else you've heard about but never managed to pull yourself", says Peter.
Hm, damn.

They were nominated for the Swedish grammies along with Entombed, and some stupid bands. One of the stupid bands won. Well, I just assume they were stupid.

That's kind of funny too, his parents being at the Stockholm show. I wonder sometimes what parents of people in extreme metal bands think of what they do.

Originally posted by LordPaul
Heh, what on earth were you expecting?
I was hoping they couldnt sum the song structure of the entire album up in one sentence.

Originally posted by Stinkfist
Mike spoke about the new album in another interview, done by yours truely.

www.sonicdeath.co.uk

This is a really good interview!

A couple of quotes that caught my eye that were probably directed at this forum:

"People shouldn't worry so much..."

"Some rumour said I lived in Canada, which is absolutely hilarious."

I'm glad he set that one staight, because it really had me confused :lol:

Even if it is verse chorus verse it will be:

Brilliant verse - exceptional chorus - amazing verse - spectacular chorus - stunning bridge with awesome solo - fantastic verse - jaw-dropping chorus....

i don't see the bad thing on easy structures while the songs remain good. complex doesn't implies good, simply doesn't implies bad. good is good and bad is bad. the rest is apart.