First mix with ozone

kenny8505

Jan 13, 2010
Took me a while to get used to Ozone.
Ignore the some clipping parts. Especially with the Toms. I'm still working on that..

Drums are Slate

Guitars are Digitech rp355 (took a lot of work to get a somewhat decent tone out of that thing)

Bass is also the rp355

Tips would be awesome for the overall mix. Like levels and such.

Link: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5406047/HalfPast69 (prepro).mp3

Oooooh my fucking god. I am in love with this tone. Especially when that sick bendy riff around :55 comes in. So you plugged the digitech into your computer? did you use any impulses? I think the bass gtr could be a little higher, the kick seemed loud, but thats how I like it, especially with heavy, thick sounding kicks like this one. The snare was nice and punchy, but the cymbals sounded a little distant

Oooooh my fucking god. I am in love with this tone. Especially when that sick bendy riff around :55 comes in. So you plugged the digitech into your computer? did you use any impulses? I think the bass gtr could be a little higher, the kick seemed loud, but thats how I like it, especially with heavy, thick sounding kicks like this one. The snare was nice and punchy, but the cymbals sounded a little distant

Thanks dude!

Well the tone came from the Rectifier amp simulation on the digitech and the result of a pretty weird idea i had. Believe it or not there is no cab impulses on it all. its weird i know. I eq'ed it very heavily taking the harsh sounds out of the amp. And in the end it turned out nice so i kept it haha.

but yeah im going for that punchy feeling on the drums. And when you say distant for the cymbals do you mean in volume? or that there should be more direct mic than room?

Thanks dude!

Well the tone came from the Rectifier amp simulation on the digitech and the result of a pretty weird idea i had. Believe it or not there is no cab impulses on it all. its weird i know. I eq'ed it very heavily taking the harsh sounds out of the amp. And in the end it turned out nice so i kept it haha.

but yeah im going for that punchy feeling on the drums. And when you say distant for the cymbals do you mean in volume? or that there should be more direct mic than room?

Well amazing job on the guitar tone. Sounds very heavy and clear even though its low tuned, which is a feat (for me at least).

And I love the punchy feeling! But for the cymbals, yes I mean they should sound a bit more direct. They sound good at first but towards the end it sounds like they are more to the side and far away, any way you can make them sound closer, maybe more direct? In my headphones thats what it sounds like, and on my laptop speakers it sounds even more distant

Well amazing job on the guitar tone. Sounds very heavy and clear even though its low tuned, which is a feat (for me at least).

And I love the punchy feeling! But for the cymbals, yes I mean they should sound a bit more direct. They sound good at first but towards the end it sounds like they are more to the side and far away, any way you can make them sound closer, maybe more direct? In my headphones thats what it sounds like, and on my laptop speakers it sounds even more distant

Yeah ill get those cymbals a little more clear and upfront.
Thanks for the tips though.

No one else has got anything to say? Come on people
Feedback! :loco:

i actually really like it, but im a sucker for 2-steps. so maybe thats why. haha

and i think for this type of music the cymbals should be rolled back a bit IMHO.
i like where they sit right now.

and sounds like the snare is 12a with the lower mids boosted?

i actually really like it, but im a sucker for 2-steps. so maybe thats why. haha

and i think for this type of music the cymbals should be rolled back a bit IMHO.
i like where they sit right now.

and sounds like the snare is 12a with the lower mids boosted?

Haha glad you like it. Just some things i threw together to practice some mixing.

Yeah after comparing with other mixes i kinda like the cymbals not as direct.
They just glue everything together pretty well.

But yeah dude its a 12a with the lower mids boosted and obviously some reverb. You pretty much nailed that one haha.

Don't rely solely on ozone. If your not clipping with it, throw on some gclip. If you are, try some light limiting from a waves l3 like limiter. Also having a compressor other than the ozone one can help smooth things over a bit.

Don't rely solely on ozone. If your not clipping with it, throw on some gclip. If you are, try some light limiting from a waves l3 like limiter. Also having a compressor other than the ozone one can help smooth things over a bit.

Yeah im running a compressor before ozone to do the smoothing.
So if i put a limiter on, it would go after ozone? Or before?
I'm pretty new to mastering.

I'd do it very last, but not much, like no more than 1.5db. Use your ears obviously though. It just helps get it a bit louder and glue everything together.
And if you still can't get it as loud as you want, try swapping ozone and the compressor in what order they go in and push the compressor a little more to see if that gives you any more headroom.

The mix sounds really fucking cool man. What DAW/recording host are you using? Cubase?

Also, what tuning are you in? Aflat? Tell me about your guitar/pickups!! I must know it all! Haha :headbang: I play in a polyrhythmic/polymetric metal band and we're trying to find a tone for our recordings that doesn't sound too much like Meshuggah (quite hard when you're using a Toneport UX1).

I'd do it very last, but not much, like no more than 1.5db. Use your ears obviously though. It just helps get it a bit louder and glue everything together.
And if you still can't get it as loud as you want, try swapping ozone and the compressor in what order they go in and push the compressor a little more to see if that gives you any more headroom.

Alright thanks a bunch. Ill work on that.

The mix sounds really fucking cool man. What DAW/recording host are you using? Cubase?

Also, what tuning are you in? Aflat? Tell me about your guitar/pickups!! I must know it all! Haha :headbang: I play in a polyrhythmic/polymetric metal band and we're trying to find a tone for our recordings that doesn't sound too much like Meshuggah (quite hard when you're using a Toneport UX1).

Thanks dude. :lol: Yeah im using Cubase.
My tuning is Aflat. And the guitar is just a Epiphone Les Paul with and EMG 81 at the bridge.
That pickup made this guitar so much better haha.

Well the tone i used here is modeled after Joey Sturgis's guitar sounds. That upfront creamy tone.
Now i know its not even close to how his are. But its what I aimed for and it ended up sitting well in the mix.
Plus.. its a digitech pedal.. haha

Well im just about to get podfarm with platinum.
But with enough tweaking on there. Shouldnt you be able to find a decent tone?
I know the diamond plate amp head or something is pretty sick.