First (real) keyboard

LaserBaneI

New Metal Member
Nov 2, 2005
Ok, I'm going to buy a keyboard. Its my first real keyboard (i have a cheap little thing but no way am I gonna perform with it) So i was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for an easy to use relatively decent not extremely expensive keyboard. Any help would be great

thanks.

Make sure it has MIDI support.

agreed, and you have many options.

weighted keys - feels more like a real piano, but also costs more.
# of keys - 64 or less to the full 88, more keys costs more but gives more dynamic range (although you can also use transposition features to get that range.
# of synths - many keyboards now have patches that make them sound like other instruments, the range and quality of these also is a factor in price.
pitch and volume wheels - used for effect, these thumbwheels add to versatility and expression
stand - if your keyboard is the flat type, you might want to buy a stand for it. if it is a piano type, you won't need one, but these cost more as they appear to be pianos. they are also less mobile being heavier.
construction - has a factor in cost
disk drive - raises cost significantly, used to add a lot more synth patches to the keyboard.
overall tone - not all keyboards sound the same. some have much fuller tones and response
pedals - used for reverb and other piano effects