first song post!

ATLA

Oct 12, 2007
The North
ok well heres the first song to be officially recorded through this computer and posted on the forum!

the song is my friends, its actually midi music put through a triton extreme into my 1010lt.

think FF7 music(i actually think they could sell this to sqaure enix)

its not mixed and its actually in mono (im to lazy to fix it now cuz im kinda tired)

the only guitar part is a little lead/solo thing i through together on the spot sorry its kinda sloppy but its the idea that counts first right?!

anyways enjoy!

http://www.myspace.com/parasiticsynthproductions

ps. sorry, I dont have a soundclick account yet..

yeah it all got recorded in mono on accident, only on the left side.. so ill fix it some time today.

^ Like he said. Also (and this is just my personal tastes) I'd get some delay/reverb (making sure the delay is fed through the reverb) on some of the strings, especially the violins. It may really add some more depth and give it a more dreamy like quality. And some small touches of reverb on various other instruments. At least, that's what I would play around with. Sounds really nice and pretty by the way.

ok im going to try the revervb with delay fed through( thats just reverb first then delay right?)

sorry for the newb question but what is automation?

ok im going to try the revervb with delay fed through( thats just reverb first then delay right?)

sorry for the newb question but what is automation?

What I do: set up two FX channels (sends...not inserts). One with a nice lush reverb. Send the keys to this (but not too much). On the other FX channel, set up a delay...probably set to 1/4 notes. Then on the FX insert slot below the delay, set up the same type of reverb as on the other FX channel. But set the dry/wet mix of the reverb to around 50-60%. (where 0% is full dry and 100% is full wet). Just a suggestion to try, can't promise it'll sound good.

Automation is making the DAW "remember" all of your fader movements...basically riding the faders for you as the song plays, so you have a little more dynamics. How you do it depends on what DAW software you're using.

What I do: set up two FX channels (sends...not inserts). One with a nice lush reverb. Send the keys to this (but not too much). On the other FX channel, set up a delay...probably set to 1/4 notes. Then on the FX insert slot below the delay, set up the same type of reverb as on the other FX channel. But set the dry/wet mix of the reverb to around 50-60%. (where 0% is full dry and 100% is full wet). Just a suggestion to try, can't promise it'll sound good.

Automation is making the DAW "remember" all of your fader movements...basically riding the faders for you as the song plays, so you have a little more dynamics. How you do it depends on what DAW software you're using.

wow man thankyou very much for the in depth explanation! i really appreciate that!

im using sonar 7 producer ed.

thanks for the comments on the song every one, but i am not the one who wrote it!

the credit goes to my best friend and another friend

its funny because all of us actually play some form of melo-death lol.

but we all love this really beautiful kind of rpg music!

wow man thankyou very much for the in depth explanation! i really appreciate that!

im using sonar 7 producer ed.

thanks for the comments on the song every one, but i am not the one who wrote it!

the credit goes to my best friend and another friend

its funny because all of us actually play some form of melo-death lol.

but we all love this really beautiful kind of rpg music!

No problem. And correction...when I said "send the keys to this..." I meant send the strings to this...as they're carrying the melody. It may not work as I hear it in my head...but just experiment!

ok so im trying this as i type this, i kinda just set up a bus for all the strings and put the reverb in the bus..

is that what you meant by fx channel?

if so should i just run both reverb and delay through the same bus?

ok so my friend took a crack at mixing but hes kinda stuck with what to do, he had this to say..

"I've been somewhat hesitant to post this thread for fear of verbal bashings of "noob" and the like.
but after spending an hour or so on the search function, to no avail. I feel it is time to ask my question.

I have two songs that I programmed in MIDI and then ran through my triton extreme, then directly back in to the computer.
One of which I decided to take a crack at mixing.
Which actually didn't turn out too bad. I got the things I wanted to some out a bit more, everything sounds clearer, more distinguishable, and more lifelike. However my problem lies in that the unmixed(dry) recording of the song is actually louder and has alot more bass.
below is a link to each of this song, mixed and dry(unmixed).

http://www.soundclick.com/tacos

sorry all I have is soundclick to show these you.

Detailed Analysis:
the project is split up into 12 tracks which are:

Harp
Piano
5 pizzicato tracks(of all different timbres) which are:
viola pizz
violin pizz
cello pizz
bass pizz
and ensemble pizz
then I have
two slow attack digital strings tracks for backing and bass
two violin tracks for lead melody
and finally
bells

Since this was my first time mixing, I really wasn't sure where to start, but I knew of a vst plugin to use which I know to be fairly decent.
I used Izotope Ozone 3 for all my mixing.
The steps I took in mixing these tracks were:

First, I equalized everything till I brought out what I though the track needed. note: I never went into the negative dBs.

second, I added reverb to everything, as with everything I did on here, I tried not to go too overboard and just added as much as I felt neccesary to give the tracks a more life-like feel.

third, I used the loudness maximizer on tracks I felt turned out too quiet, or I decreased the gain margin to bring volumes of others down a bit.

fourth, I used a multiband harmonic exciter to bring out certain details of each track i.e. the rosin scrape from a stringed instrument.

fifth, I used a multiband dynamics function, which as I understand it, is some form of compressor, so I just tweaked it till it felt tighter and more brilliant.

lastly, I used a multiband stereo imager to add wideness to all the tracks. which I felt made everything sound bigger, like it should.

any input on what I did wrong or right would be greatly appreciated.
The main reason I posted this is to find out what a good way to start the mixing/master process would be. I would VERY much appreciate any help offered and I truly hope you enjoy the tracks.

furthermore, if you would like to try and mix them yourself I'd be happy to send all the individual dry tracks to see what kind of magic you guys can muster.

please help
Zac"