First time micing an amp...

Bysen

Jan 30, 2012
Enköping, Sweden
I may be an old fart but this is the first time ever micing up a cab lol
My Bugera 333XL through a Harley Benton 2*12 (v30).

I hesitated to do it because my cheap LP copy has some really nasty pickups on it at the moment (Seymour Duncan's are on it's way).
They sound fizzy and nowhere near as tight as I want them to be.

Actually pretty pleased with it but I know I have a lot to learn.

Mic(SM57) is placed dead center on the dust cap, just a couple of mm from the speaker cloth.
Is it too scooped? Can I expect a major upgrade in sound by changing the pickups? ( JB+Jazz)
The cabinet is close to the wall in a pretty small untreated rom, bad idea?
How can I improve the room/placement of cab?

Rythm guitars are double tracked and panned hard L-R.
Solo parts is my strat and pod farm btw.

Thanks for listening :Spin:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks!

Guitars is just ReaEQ and a touch of TLS maximizer (is that a no-no?lol)

Ozone maximizer pretty cranked on the master.

I would hesitate saying that anything in the recording world is a quote-unquote no-no.

I personally can't stand Ozone.:wave:

Yeah, I guess it doesn't really matter what you do, as long as you get the result you're after.
Reason for the "no-no" comment is that I'm a total noob when it comes to all this recording/mixing business.
It's great fun though, I haven't been this inspired (music wise) since my twenties lol

I quite like Ozone, even though I probably only use 1% of it's potential.
I'm a bit unpatient and if I get results out of a vst within a few minutes I continue to use it :p

Sounds good man. For the EQ, did you hi pass and low pass in Reaper or did you scoop out some mids??? Sounds really good, especially if you have an untreated room. My setup sounds pretty similar.
What did you use for drums?

Thanks!

HP 90Hz - LP 7.3Khz wth ReaEQ in reaper.
Crunch channel on the Bugera, treble and mid on 4, bass and gain on 6.

I use EZDrummer Dfh, default kit with "Sonor2" snare. I'm not too fond of the
snares in Dfh but I did some whacky EQ boost on the bass and mids, sounds ok I think.

I really need to get some proper monitors...it sounds ok at home but in the car and at work (pc speakers) the guitars sound kinda fizzy and too much mid.
And the bass guitar is too much "sub-bass", need some eq adjustments.
That will probably affect the guitar tone as well, hopefully to the better ;-)

I made some minor adjustments = file is now updated in the soundcloud link in the first post.

Thanks Cory.

And thank you everyone who took the time to listen and comment.
It seems like I'm somewhat on the right track with the guitars and that feels great.

About the bass guitar...
I made some late night adjustment on the bass which was a bad move as I couldn't really turn up the volume much.
Had a listen to it this morning as I drove to work and the bass is horrible lol.
I was trying to bring more midbass to the mix but totally overdid it.

I generally seem to overcompensate when I adjust settings, probably most because of inexperience but also because of my lousy monitors...

Will take care of that when I get home but most important is to hear that
the guitars sounds alright. Makes it even more fun to experiment further with it.