First time micing drums ( Death metal-ish)

Finsmi

Nov 22, 2010
Oslo, Norway
Me and two friends did this as our exam project at school (I'm attending music production @ Noroff, Oslo) Our task was to write and record a song, in a genre of our own choice. I go the first year at school, and we were not supposed to take the time and effort to mice things up, but we were a bit more ambitious than the others. Guitars are 6505 with matched cab, miced with the fredman technique (Used an md421 on axis in stead of sm57) Bass is pod x3 live + di. Vocals were done with md421..

p.s. absolutely nooo effort was put into the songwriting. production is main focus

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15478216/Circles - Eternal Disease.mp3

The guitars sound really phasey at times, and not at other times. I dunno if the mix is just obscuring that, or if the two tracks are going in and out of phase.

Drums sound pretty good for being totally real. Kick could come up a TOUCH and have a little more on the topend, and maybe a bit more compression on the snare. The drums as a whole sound quite dry and thus rather amateur. There aren't any tom mics are there? Or if there are, they need to come up substantially.

I'm a total newbie, so stop me if this is stupid, but if the guitar tracks are going in an out of phase, then it wouldn't really help flipping one of the tracks right? The drums were actually never finished in the mix, cause the door to the studio at the school has a timelock, and all of a sudden we just had to get out, and had to deliver the project the next day.. I'm planning on remixing this, cause I think the guitars and drums especially could be a lot better.. any tips on how to make this better would be cool:) More room and toms + kick up is a check!

The kicks could sit forwards in the mix a little more I think. Guitars sounds pretty good, though I'm more of a 57 kind of guy. Keep it up.

My english terminology isn't all that great, could you explain to me what you mean by muffled? I can understand why it is overcompressed, since this last mix is done on headphones, and I have maybe overcompensated for the lack of punch:p