First time recording with an electric kit. help!

Mar 16, 2010
Hi guys.

This weekend i'm starting work on a couple demo's for with the band.

instead of micing up stuff in the practice room we've decided we'll go a bit more pro and use an electric kit and track everything.

we will be using an alesis dm5 pro kit and i'm hooking it up through an M Audio audiophile 192 card into cubase with superior 2.

My question is this.

How easy is it to hook up the drum module to my computer? Obviously using midi. Is there a good tutorial on it anywhere i could use?

i'm familiar with superior 2 but never triggered it with a kit. I'm afraid i might get latency etc.

would i be better off using an mbox with pro tools instead? and track everything in the same DAW? I'm not keen on the midi editor in pro tools hence using cubase and bouncing everything down to wav's and dragging them into pro tools to do the rest.

Any help would be much appreciated.

cheers.

You better look this up in either manuals, your DAW and Alesis, even the interface manual. But usually everything is set up by default so take the manuals just in case.

it will trigger differently depending on the drummer and how comfortable he is on it. Some people have a hard time playing an electric kit cause if its not mesh, it doesnt have the same bounce.

Edit: As far as hooking it up goes its usually pretty easy. Just make the notes on the module the same drums corresponding to the drums in superior.

What I would do is have the drummer monitor through the DM5 module and then you take the MIDI for later to run through Superior drummer.

You can typically get the latency using superior pretty low, but the module will still be lower.

Depends on the drummer though and how well they work the drums with their hits and stuff for tone. Superior might be more responsive in that regard.

I had a TD-9 as a house kit and I would say about 1/3 of drummers were cool with using it. The rest either couldn't or just wouldn't due to various reasons. At the speeds of metal drumming, I think it is more muscle memory and feel and depending on the right bounce and such. E-kits totally mess that up unless they are used to it. Even the kick pad really would throw them off due to movement and the head not being tight enough.

Best of luck!